quick question about installing a mobo...

weezer_bacardi2

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2004
hey every one. im building a PC for the first time. i have everything figured out except for one thing (so far...). the metal cover that goes on the back of the case where all the motherboard inputs stick out has parts, in the interior of the case, that bend out over the curcitry behind the inputs. im not sure if im describing it right but it doesnt look unusual. its not scary or anything. im just wondering if these little folds should be touching any part of the motherboard, if there is an electrical issiue involved. should they be pressing into the circutry or folded back so that they dont touch? or are they there just for support, to hold the input circutry in place... in case perhaps the plugging in and pulling out of chords would get rough? i dont know, im only assuming.

the motherboard is an MSI k7n2 in case youre wondering.

thanks for any help you can give me.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you refering to the little grounding tabs on the backplate? Those are supposed to touch the port, not the flat part of the board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

weezer_bacardi2

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2004
"grounding tabs" does sound more accurate. i was sure that they couldnt touch the actual board because they arent long enough, but its hard to describe. are the ports the metal boxes (right behind the inputs) that are under the grounding tabs when the motherboard is in place?

also, my case came with a bag full of different screws. i can only assume which ones go where from looking at other computers. but one thing that i wonder is if there should be anything keeping the back of the motherboard from touching the case. some screws come with rubber rings that i guess go on top where they touch the motherboard, but is it safe to have the delicate (looking) circuitry of the motherboard's back pressing against metal for the next few years? does it matter?

thanks for your help. these might be obvious questions for you, but the case had no manual and the motherboard manual says nothing about this.

Ok slow down.

First look in the bag of screws for the case. You should find some mital (most times brass )Stand offs. Screw these into the case holes that match your motherboard holes. .

Now align the holes up on the motherboard and carefully put screws into the stand offs.. Tighten until snug. Do not overtighten the screws going through the motherboard.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you have the ports on the back, such as the keyboard port, mouse port, sound ports, many of these have metal shield (boxes) over them. Those metal shields are supposed to be grounded to the backplate (the cover with the holes in it), and the backplate is grounded to the case. Those tabs on the backplate normally touch the top or sides of the ports.

Your case probably uses standoffs as Rick mentioned. Those are normally made of brass, sometimes they're chrome plated. Occasionally a bag of hardware will include plastic ones as well. The metal standoffs have a threaded hole on one end and a threaded stud on the other. Mount those to the case wherever the board has holes. Don't mount any into the case that wouldn't line up with a hole in the board, because that could short circuit the board.

You see, the mounting holes in your motherboard are isolated from live circuits. Some of them are probably wired to the ground circuit. So you don't need anything to insulate your board at the holes. But you do need to avoid putting standoffs in other places, without holes, where they would contact circuits.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>