Splinter cell conviction / Ubisoft

i_like_pie

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Hey all,

what is the deal with these game companies?! I have been waiting for splinter cell conviction to be released because I really liked the series, however, when I was ready to make my purchase on steam, I came across this "A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. ... UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://www.splintercell.com/conviction/"

WTF!!!!!!! when are they going to WAKE UP?! we are the 'paying' customers! I 'was' going to buy this game despite the heavy $60 price tag, but no chance now, I will not support that type of DRM crap! total B.S.!! I hope I'm not alone here!

ok, rant over . . . .

isamuelson

Distinguished
Ubisoft has not learned from the fiasco from the Assassin's Creed II mess. Oh, and now it's been cracked (a month later), but it goes to show that DRM doesn't work.

SCC is not the final game that will employ this draconian type of protection. Ubisoft has more games slated to use it and other companies are starting to use it now.

But, you are not alone. I refuse to purchase and install the software until Ubisoft comes out with a legit patch to remove it. Otherwise, the software will never find a home on my hard drive. Plus, Ubisoft won't be getting my money. It will go to another software company that trusts its customers more and doesn't employ these types of protection. I understand they want to protect their investments, but did they really protect it or did they lose even more money?

Ibanez_77

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
When you think about it, they are charging you EXTRA for the fact that they have to run and maintain a server in order to support their fascist DRM scheme!! I'm sorry but if I ever decide to buy this game it will be from the bargain bin.

isamuelson

Distinguished

I won't buy nor install this game until the remove the requirement of having to be online. This includes ALL of their games that utilize this draconian DRM scheme.

i_like_pie

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
same here - they will not be getting any of my money - I guess that's the best we can do to try to get them to 'think' a little bit before punishing the freakin paying customers . . .

pondfisher

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
The sad thing is that the creators of the game worked hard and most likely created a great product....its the damn business execs who are leading this movement.

Unfortunately though, I fear that this is not going to go away anytime soon. With the number of households with internet access going up, i see this becoming the norm.

I can agree to one time online registration but the requirement for a PERMANENT connection is overkill. Anyone have any info on successful product bans in the gaming industry? I dont think they work as the number of people who bend over and take it are more than those who do not........

wish they would work though......

isamuelson

Distinguished
I know with Bioshock, they eventually removed the install limit with a patch, but that was after they had sold a certain number of units. Possibly, the same thing will happen with AC2 and SC:C. Spore also eventually had a install remover program sent out that allowed you to unregister a copy of Spore so you would get your install back.

So, it is possible that an official patch from Ubisoft will eventually come out, but I would look for that to happen probably a year or two from now. Yes, there is a "crack" out there that fixes this, but I don't trust them AND they are not legal. Only until Ubisoft releases there own patch will I then purchase this game.

isamuelson

Distinguished

The problem is, the DRM Ubisoft is using is SO intrusive, it's not fair. Whether your ISP goes out or if their servers decide to take a break, you are screwed out of your game until you get connectivity back. You loose any unsaved progress at the time the connection was lost. That is just not right and they definitely didn't think this through. They might as well have not released the game at all for the PC because that's basically what they've done.

i_like_pie

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
@isamuelson, absolutely right, gamespot did a review on the game, and this is what they found, "We also experienced issues with Ubisoft's copy protection method, which requires players to maintain a consistent Internet connection, even when playing the single-player campaign. On several occasions, Ubi's servers hiccuped multiple times in a row, pausing the game in progress and then restarting a few seconds later in an annoying loop. A few times we couldn't connect to the servers and therefore couldn't play the game. "

wow, so as soon as you loose a connection, OR THEIR servers hiccup, the game pauses! what were they thinking??

TRENDING THREADS