Qwest

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
Hi. This is the first time something like this happens to me. I install a brand new mobo intel 865 Perl in a new case, with a new ddr memory, new hdd, new video card, ...everything new. I teast it by steps as i was assembling the components and it was working ok... When I finally finish the installation, i power on the power button of the case and "puf" smoke came out of the surfase of the mobo!! I swith it off. It smells very bad and it have it circuits burn black in two different part of the mother.
How could it happened!!!. The power supply was tasted and works ok. The case was not in tought with the motherboard... everything seems ok. It was a NEW motherboard!! One of the black part left on the motherboard surface is unther one of the capasitors near the AGP slot... does this something to do with the burn up ??
Sorry my bad english. I will apreciate your help.
Qwest

Could have been an extra standoff on the case making contact with the mobo. Or one of the leads connected the wrong way. It happens. I would check everything one by one to be sure you don't repeat the same mistake again. Was the power supply from an old system? Some dell power supplies have different wiring from a standard ps.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
What graphics card and motherboard is it?

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
This might actually be the first time I get to mention this. I read an article in <i>Maximum PC</i> that a while back, one capacitor manufacturer stole the formula from another one. Only problem, they didn't get the complete formula, so all the capacitors they made with that batch are ass. Any mobo could have these capacitors. I would RMA that bitch.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

Qwest

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
I talk by phone directly with Intel Support to make my complain. They told me it´s a very strange case but that they think it´s not Intel´s mobo failure there. But that they will study the case before a resolution. They ask me to send photos of the burn area.
Who they think they are!!?? GOD?? Nothing can happend to their mobos???... everything is fault of any other component?? I think that a bad circiut can came on EVERY integrated, not only NON INTEL components!
I´m really piss off. And unther the capasitor IS REALLY BLACK! grrrrrrr
Never had happend to me this kind of thing with even very low quality mobos!! AND THEY SAY THEY ARE THE BEST!!!

Qwest

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
This was the second thing i check. First the power supply, second the standoffs... and all this BEFORE I turn it on!
And everything was ok.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I remember a similar article but it was only Asus boards that suffered from this capacitor problem.

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>

Qwest

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
It´s very notorious the burn marks to tell que store that que mobo never boots up (by the way the mobo did boot up 2 times before the time that burns up... i did the bios configuration just a few minutes before the third "burning one" time).
Is it possible that too much silicio used in the integrated circuits can cause something like this? (someone told me this kind of things can happen in new motherboards)
The place where i bought this mobo is a very big one and are resellers, they don´t sell directly to public, only to other small stores and hardware integrators.
I´m going to take this mobo to RMA tomorrow and let you know... but i think what is going to happen... they are going to say just the same as Intel... "the other components" cause this burn. The ironic thing is that the other components are working fine. WHO´S THE BLAME SO???