Sandisk Announces Mobile-Oriented SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
The 10 year life span sounds pretty good. Hopefully this will reduce heat as well. My hp laptop of 2 years ago used to get really hot while gaming due to the hdd.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
10 years at 4 gig a day. I dont know. Just seems a little low, but maybe it would be okay for a laptop drive. I just have a hard time paying for something that might not last. Especially when it comes to data. The problem will be its a small drive so you will be constantly moving stuff from it to back up. Bet it only last a few years a my rate.

IAMCANADIAN

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Agreed! 4GB/day, try 4GB/hr in my case (large files/video encoding); The amount of read/write/move/delete access that my 2.5" 7200RPM 250GB drive goes though per day would kill the SSD in a matter of months. SSD's are still not good enough for mainstream use. Probably good as strictly an OS/Boot drive; You'd want to move the swap/page file to an external to prevent unneeded write access. Once the prices comes down I would probably get one for an OS drive, strictly for the speed improvement; But like all flash based memory or drives they use slower memory/chips for the higher capacities:

"It will become available in capacities ranging from 64 to 256 GB, with promised maximum read-write speeds of 220 and 160 per second respectively."

At approximately $350/100GB, I'll wait! I don't have $$$ just lying around for that kind of frivolity.

IAMCANADIAN

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Agreed! 4GB/day, try 4GB/hr in my case (large files/video encoding); The amount of read/write/move/delete access that my 2.5" 7200RPM 250GB drive goes though per day would kill the SSD in a matter of months. SSD's are still not good enough for mainstream use. Probably good as strictly an OS/Boot drive; You'd want to move the swap/page file to an external to prevent unneeded write access. Once the prices comes down I would probably get one for an OS drive, strictly for the speed improvement; But like all flash based memory or drives they use slower memory/chips for the higher capacities:

"It will become available in capacities ranging from 64 to 256 GB, with promised maximum read-write speeds of 220 and 160 per second respectively."

At approximately $350/100GB, I'll wait! I don't have $$$ just lying around for that kind of frivolity.

G

Except the files I download, and save on an SD card, I don't even get near to those 4GB with XP!
True, windows 7 and vista write too much crap to the disk!

welshmousepk

Distinguished
[citation][nom]slickyfats[/nom]Will this fit into my PS3??? I'd take out my 320Gb 7200RPM for this just to reduce heat.[/citation]

Any SSD already on the market will fit in your PS3 (standard laptop SATA)

Status
Not open for further replies.