Various game crashes Win 7

I3rosuf

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
I recently built a new computer and moved up from Vista to Win 7

The games wont even launch, most of them just go to a black screen, then crash. A few older games i might understand, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Morrowind, Thief. But Crysis Warhead and Oblivion do the same thing. I can run Fallout 3, Call of Duty MW2, Red Faction Guerrilla all smooth no issues. Hell even Quake and Half-Life work.

Anyways heres my setup

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
eVGA GeForce GTX 480
eVGA x58 SLI
Intel Core i7 930
8gig DDR3

I have the latest drivers for my card, dx11

Everything ran on my last system which was a GeForce 260 and a Core 2 Duo, win Vista.

Anyways, i feel like i might just be blatantly missing something.

Windows 7 is generally quite forgiving compatibility-wise. Heck, I've managed to get C&C 95 working with a bit of tweaking.

I suggest you try and run the games in XP compatibility mode. Right-click on the game's shortcut, Select Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, and set up as follows:

- Tick the "Run in compatibility mode for:" box and select Windows XP (SP2 or 3, your choice)
- Disable visual themes
-Run as administrator

Apply, and you should be good to go!

I3rosuf

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
It's a clean install, I have a completly new computer, I still have my old machine. I moved my steam files over from my old hard drive. With oblivion I tried removing the files and re installing. And with chaos theory it was the first time I installed it, it wasn't on the old hard drive. All of these are steam installs. I'll try xp compatibility when I get home from work. The steam files were the only thing I brought over from the old computer. Everything else including the steam client were fresh installs.

I3rosuf

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
I was thinking that too, but I had completley re installed oblivion. And splinter cell was a fresh install it was never an installed on the old machine. MW2, Fallout 3, Borderlands, Team fortress 2, and many others that were also moved over work great. As a last resort I guess I could completley remove steam and fresh install everything, but in the case of oblivion and splinter cell I don't think that's the issue

Edit: Now that I think of it, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory at least gets to the menu. But if I try to change graphical settings or play it crashes. I'm going to try and install my Starcraft and Starcraft 2 betal later and see how those work.

I3rosuf

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Alright so Starcraft works fine, and Starcraft 2 is taking a while to patch so ill check on that later. Anyways i tried installing Direct X 9.0c and did a bunch of windows updates. And set to XP compatibility mode and got nothing.

I cant think of anything else to try and im really not looking forward to reinstalling steam, but i still don't think thats the issue.

My buddy is coming by tomorrow and he has a non steam copy of oblivion i'm going to try.

mjyumping

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Hello, I have a solution for your problem Try It! It may work
When the games you play crashes, Steps how to fix them:
1. Right click on the game .exe that doesn't working e.g: Splintercellchaos.exe or whatever.
2. Click 'Properties', then in Compatibility tab, in make this program compatible for:
then select windows xp note: if its not working windows xp change it and see if it work. That's it!

I3rosuf

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
I have tried setting it to XP compatibility, different service packs, and even tried vista with nothing. I went ahead and completly removed steam and am doing a fresh install of oblivion. Hey at least I freed up a good chunk of my hard drive.

I played Starcraft 2 earlier with no issues. I want to say it's only older titles but crysis isn't really that old. I wish the games had something in common for me to at least be able to figure what was causing it.

I already suggested that a few posts back...

Anyhow, must admit this is quite puzzling. I'm still inclined to think Steam may be at fault here. I had a quick chat with my brother, who did exactly the same thing you did: New rig with Windows 7, copied Steam files over, and everything works fine. He suggests that you make sure your Steam platform is updated.

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hey Fellow south african! long time no chat...

well i was running through the forums and came across this blog... i also recently upgraded to windows 7 ultimate and had troubles, but never knew about the xp compatibility mode!!

you've saved me a lot of heart ache because all my older programs work!!!

fokken ongelooflik!!!

baie dankie tjom!!!

My pleasure.

P.S. No swearing on the forum please :pfff:

I3rosuf

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Well in finally re installed and i'm still having the issue. My steam is up to date. Could it be my hardware?

Don't know if any of this helps but heres the info.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Oblivion.exe
Application Version: 1.2.0.416
Application Timestamp: 462392c7
Fault Module Name: MSVCR80.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.0.50727.4927
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a2752ff
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0005077c
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Might be best for you to paste that output in both the Steam and Windows 7 forums. They may be able to help you better than we can.

InfinitYn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hi all,

Windows 7 has a lot of compatibility problems with a lot of new games also. From what I Google ,I found out that a lot of problems are coming from the onboard audio codec.

Example:

I have installed a fresh windows 7 and then I installed FIFA 10.The game crashes in online mode. I have Realtek sound on MB.I have installed the driver directly from Realtek.com and I had no problems. This is not a definitive solutions as now lately FIFA 10 is crashing online on random bases.

I don't know what to do !!! :)

On Vista , XP there are no problems.

thanks.

I3rosuf

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Now it's looking like an issue with MSVCR80.dll. A few people said windows defender was removing this file. I have windows defender off and have tried replacing the file in oblivions directory with no success. I haven't really messed
with it too much. Seems like the games that work don't use this file.

Ashenzure

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
:eek: Hello
sorry if this is hijacking, am having trouble with games on windows 7 too

just bought a new dell xps15

core i7 720
4g ram ddr3
500 HDD 7200rpm
Graphics Radeon HD4570 512mb

whenever i install a game, Torchlight, Heroes of Newerth the first run is fine, but always after the second time running the launcher, the system returns an error

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~"game name" game executable has stopped working~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

windows will try to find a solution..

no solution and the only optional button to press is to close the window ><

this error is driving me nuts... :cry:

initially had problems with the windows included games -> chess and stuff were crashing at launch too
but that got fixed after i did a BIOS patch from dell

thanks for reading through, hope that all our errors get fixed soon.. not being able to run exe. files is a real pain ><

navymiech

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
I had the same problems when I built my pc. Some of my games kept crashing when I open them up from steam. I know you been told this, but I did it a little differently then what they suggested I think. This is what I did exactly. Note: I am going to tell you how to do it the long way since I'm not sure what the exact command promt exe is.

1. Go to your "C" drive or where ever your "local drive" is. Open it.
2. Open "Program files (x86)". (not "program files")
3. Open "Steam" folder and locate the "Steam" application. (Don't mistake the one that is an Icon.)
4. Right click on "Steam" application and go to properties.
5. Then locate and click on the tab where it says "Compatibility".
6. Now for the area of the box that says "Compatibility mode", make sure that box is not check. Thats right, leave that box uncheck and hit apply and restart your pc and try to start your game on steam. Good luck, this is what I did and everything is working fine with steam now for me.

G

I had the same problem! I removed C++ dist, ran in xp sp3 compatibility mode and also UPDATED MY BIOS.

It wasn't until after i updated my bios that it worked.

YAYYYY!!!!!