dmoritz

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2004
I have always wanted to try and build my own PC but sadly cannot due to very poor use of my hands due to nerve damage. So, as an alternative, I thought I would get some good advice from the experts here about what I should get in terms of mobo, processor, memory, graphic's card, and other components needed to build a good gaming pc? Hopefully one that I would not need to upgrade for a year or two...at least from a mobo/cpu perspective. We have a local PC shop here that I think I will have build me one, but I wanted to kind of present them a list of what I want.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Have a good day all :)

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
How much money do you have to spend and when do you want to build it? That will determine the kind of computer you'll get.

In your situation I would get a new s939 motherboard and an Athlon 64 3500+, a bit pricey but s939 will [hopefully] be around for a long time. If you have more money to spend the 3800+ is always there and if you want to overclock the FX-53 has an unlocked multiplier. Im not sure what motherboard would be good because I haven't seen a lot of motherboard reveiws out for 939 yet.

Graphics wise it will be a tough choice between Nvidia and Ati. Generally Ati outperforms Nvidia but the hole briliener fiasco invalidates a lot of benchmarks. Nvidia has potential to be faster and Ati has a mature core that is already near its peak performance but is currently faster than Nvidia. Another thing, Ati's card is already out, Nvidia's isnt (This is with the 6800 ultra and X800.) Right now I'd get the X800pro, which is also expensive. The 9800 pro is a good alternative, you can find one for maybe $180.

Any good PC 3200 memory (Corsair, OCZ, Mushkin, etc.) would be great, memory that can run at 200mhz (400mhz ddr) with CL2.0, just get a gig of it with two 512 mb sticks in dual channel mode.

-----------------------
[mind went blank]