Sign in with
Your question

Curse you Steam and Direct2Drive! I need to save my money!

Last response: in Video Games
April 30, 2010 12:02:43 PM

This week has been pure torture for me. Steam has been having a Rockstar sale and at certain points of the day, they will put a particular Rockstar game on sale for an insane price as low as $2.99!!!

However, last night was pure torture! First, I purchased Dirt 2 for $9.99! In fact, a lot of the Codemasters stuff is still on sale.

In addition to Codemasters, you can get the entire Rockstar Collection for $43 or some insane price like that. However, if you have a lot of the games already in the collection, Steam keeps popping up individual Rockstar games for sale that last about 3 hours. One night, GTA III was on sale for $2.99! This morning, Bully was on sale for $7.99!

I don't know how much more of this I can take! My hard drive is filling up fast!

But, it's not just Steam doing this. Last night I picked up Wolfenstein from Direct2Drive for $9.99.

Both Steam and Direct2Drive are great. You can download to your hearts content, but Direct2Drive is a little more draconian in that you have to activate and if you've reached the limit, then you have to contact support. At least with Steam, that's not the case, but Direct2Drive hasn't given me any hassles anytime I needed to reactivate a game that reached its limits (which seems to be about 3).

So, for all those slamming digital purchases, I have picked up probably 20+ games in the past 6 months alone and they have all been on sale with the most expensive purchase being around $29 for Fallout 3 when it went on sale.

May 2, 2010 4:28:49 AM

Yes both vendors have been putting out deals like crazy. I keep seeing things and thinking well there might be something better in a few days so I don't buy anything and then im kicking myself for not getting it and buy something else for cheap. Then of course something else I really would have wanted before I purchased the first thing goes on sale.
May 4, 2010 8:27:34 PM

Wow, now lets see you actually PLAY more than 5 of those games for more than 2 hours in the last 6 months...
May 5, 2010 3:12:00 AM

Steam seems to have more and better sales, but in a way I like direct 2 drive in that you dont have to be connected to the internet to play. I know you can play steam games offline, but the setup seems complicated and if the saves are kept on the steam cloud, playing offline could mess up the saves I think.
!