WOW FPS/ General PC Performance

PRAXEUM

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I just got a brand new Alienware Aurora.
The specs.

-Intel Core i7 CPU 930 Quad Core Overlocked to 3.37Ghz
-9Gigs of DDR3 Triple Channel Memory (RAM Speed : 642.4 MHz (2:8) @ 9-9-9-24) <-- Can someone explain this to me? The 2:8, and the 642.4Mhz..
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 1.8GB with Direct X 11.
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
-LG 22Inch Widescreen Monitor connected Via VGA to DVI converter 1920-1080 resolution. Direct X 11.

Link to CPU-Z Scan http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1159579

In general the computer is fantastic. I just have some general questions as I am no pro.

The computer feels sluggish. I just upgraded from a single core P4 3.00ghz, 2 gigs of ddr2 ram, 150meg harddrive, to this after 5 years.

Are my expectations to high?

My fps in wow are about 60 strairing straight or up, and 35 pointing down at everything with detail in flight with everything at max.

Is there an FPS cap, is there some setting that holds it back that doesnt reduce image quality, is there some sort of nvidia setting that needs to be altered.

Just in general I feel like the computer takes a long time to boot up, and get everything set in windows. I feel like sometimes its sluggish loading programs, but its still fast. Are there any tweaks that most people do?

Another note, I ordered the computer overlocked as the standard timing with that cpu ordered was 2.80, and when it arrived it was at 2.80 so a guy at alienware talked me through overclocking it on the phone, did I perhaps miss a setting? Is the memory timing right.

EDUCATE ME. You are all awesome.!

daship

Distinguished
You probably have Vsync on, if so it will cap you at 60FPS. Run msconfig and uncheck everything in the starup folder to make it boot faster, and in the advanced tab set it to use 8 cores instead of one. It will then boot faster.

TRENDING THREADS