changed case, now begins the problems...

Hairballs

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2002
hey all,

hope you guys can help me with my dilemma. I switched from a small case to a larger case, after putting all my stuff in, i booted up. this is where the problems start.

it takes a long time to detect my ide drives. after it does, it places my drives in the wrong place or not at all. the text for the drives are garbled also. thinking that the problem could be solved with a fresh install, i put in my cd. when it tries to boot from it i get an "i/o error: status 00002000".

what can i do? please help. thanks

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
recheck all the cables, reseat everything including the cpu.

it is possible you damaged the mobo with static during the transfer, but i doubt it.

I've got a book of matches,
I've got a can of kerosene,
I've got some bright ideas involving you and me.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You probably got your cables mixed up, make sure Primary IDE goes to the C: drive, if it's set to Cable Select make sure it's at the end of the cable (master position), etc.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
I'm having a similar problem now. Initially I thought the mobo needed to be returned. Takes a long time in bios for IDE to detect, some drives show up, others not at all. I checked and rechecked cables and jumpers. I could only get one HD to show up (both in bios and windows). Of the three HD I am using for it, only the IBM could be recognised. No matter how I switched cables, jumpers and IDE channels the WD a Maxtor w/n show.

My problem has to do with either the case (some type of short?- I've removed components and reinstalled twice), or the psu.

I have all the components laid out on a bench o/s of case with a different psu and all these problems have disapeared.

Right now I'm finishing all the software installs and cloning bkups. I'll remove the original (suspected bad) psu and hook it up o/s the case to see how goes.

Then put it all back in the case again, prolly with the known working psu because I now don't trust the other one.

Weird.

Maybe something in my dilema will lead to a solution for you, or ur mobo is screwed.

EDIT: one other thing, no way to get my cdrw to work properely while mounted in the case (yet). It shows up in bios and windows, but I get errors trying to read from it. I would NOT attemp to do an install under these circumstances for fear of it being a bad one.

Good Luck with it.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Coyote on 06/24/04 09:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Hairballs

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2002
Hey Coyote,

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Your scenario inspired me to set up my system outside the case as well. Well surprise surprise everything works and I am currently doing a fresh install.

So that means I am having some sort of short or something with my case.

How do I fix this? Any tips would be most helpful.

Thanks

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
hey guys:

Just out of curiosity are you guys using copper standoffs, for all the metal ringed mounting holes in your motherboard? If not this could be why your not getting a good ground.

Perhaps you guys already know this but just in case you dont.
The mounting holes with the metal rings around them are the only ones you should use to mount to the grounding plate via the stand-offs, the reason is the motherboard has a specific grounding pathway through the PCB and interesects at those points, which ensures a solid ground to the grounding plate.

If the correct mounting holes are being used and it still isnt getting a good ground then the grounding plate isnt making a solid connection with the case, either by flaw or by design however i cant imagine it would be by design, reguardless make a grounding strap and bolt it from the grounding plate to the PSU, this will ensure a solid ground and will definately remedy the problem if thats what it happens to be.

<font color=blue> <Archer> Cant this thing go any faster, I thought this was a Warp 5 Engine?
<Trip> Yeah, on paper... </font color=blue>