Sign in with
Your question

New mobo... blank screen

Last response: in Motherboards
June 27, 2004 5:02:08 AM

My mom's PC crapped out the other day.. and i narrowed it down to the mobo. (the pc would not start up at all) After installing the new mobo and powering on, i get nothing at all except a blank black screen. no boot info, no bios, nothing. I tried on another monitor and still had the same problem. The pc is a HP computer.. does HP have some kind of block for this??

New 250w PS
New 630TCF mobo
Penium 3 900mhz
192 mb pc133 RAM

Thanks for any help!!

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be sitting next to you saying "man we really screwed up"

More about : mobo blank screen

a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2004 7:50:13 AM

Nope, HP does nothing to prevent you from replacing the motherboard. Read the first post for common causes of your problem.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 28, 2004 4:43:47 PM

thats the problem... I power on, and nothing appears.. HD turns on, fans turn on.. just no image on the screen. I've already used 2 seperate monitors and tried using the built in graphics adapter to see if that would fix it

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be sitting next to you saying "man we really screwed up"
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2004 9:46:45 PM

Yes, typical causes are listed in the first post of this forum. Things such as a circuit on the back of the board being shorted to the case, for example. With HP, the standoff (mounting points) are normally stamped into the plate, so any boards missing a mounting hole compared to the original would certainly be shorted to the case at that mounting point. A solution may be to put electric tape over that mounting point. Other possibilities, though less likely, would be a reversed IDE cable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 29, 2004 7:03:49 PM

heya JohnB;

Most likely the mobo is set into a protection state from the factory, just reset C-Mos, and the mobo should function normally.

<Archer> Cant this thing go any faster, I thought this was a Warp 5 engine?

<Trip> Yeah, on paper...
June 30, 2004 1:14:58 AM

still nothing.. i think i just got a bad mobo perhaps??

!