what sort of sorc as a meph-runner?

I've never bothered building a Meph-running sorc but now want to do
so. What do you suggest, my fine fine newsgroupers? (has never taken
a sorc through Hell Baal...heh)

--

Weretable and the Undead Chairs

USWest - weretable
12 answers Last reply
More about what sort sorc meph runner

    "weretable and the undead chairs" <happy@nightmare.time> wrote in message
    > I've never bothered building a Meph-running sorc but now want to do
    > so. What do you suggest, my fine fine newsgroupers? (has never taken
    > a sorc through Hell Baal...heh)

    I like a Meteor/Orb Sorc for Meph running. Max Orb and 15 in Mastery
    including plus skills. One in Static, Teleport, Warmth, & Armor. The rest in
    Meteor and synergies/Mastery.

    For gear, a Wizzy and Rhyme shield (Grim or Heater) will go a long way
    towards covering your Resists, then you can load on the MF gear. I prefer
    max blocking on my Sorcs. Go for 88 strength (including items) if you want
    to use an up'd Goldwrap. This will also let you use a 4 PT/Wealth Dusk
    Shroud. The rest into Vitality, base Energy.

    For running Meph. Start in A4 and WP to D2. With only a Wizzy for FC I like
    to run, going left from the WP. When you encounter monsters you teleport
    past them. Also port across to the left whenever it appears on the mini map.
    When you get to D3 recast your Armor and teleport hard right till you get
    across the moat. I like to port near the red portal along the way to trigger
    the bone walkway. When you get across the moat, cast an Orb towards Mephy to
    chill him, then circle around him when he runs out and use your Lower Resist
    wand on switch, be sure to stay in the clear cause you'll lose the resists
    from Wizzy while on switch. Then run in close and Static him down to half.
    Back off and Orb away, adjusting your position till you hit the 'sweet
    spot'. Collect the goodies and exit stage right via the red portal to A4.

    Rinse and repeat. A lot.

    For a Merc, I like a Prayer guy with a normal polearm Insight stick. You
    need the Insight to keep your Mana up (even if you run into Mana Burners),
    but you don't want him to be strong enough to kill the Dolls while you're
    running to D3. Otherwise gear him up for maximum tanking. You don't need him
    to kill Mephy, just tie him up while you're Staticing and Orbing. In my
    experience this will require purple pots, so you'll need to mule purples in
    when you mule the loot off.

    The Meteor part of the build is only for dealing with the Ghouls on D3. If
    you choose to mess with them. If you're careful to lure Mephy out front, and
    you exit if/when a CI Maffer joins in the fun, you could probably go with
    the Orb synergies instead of Meteor. But in my experience, Hell Meph goes
    down quite nicely without the synergies (LR wand on switch speeds the Static
    part quite nicely) even with zero plus skills.

    This was my build for a MFer at the start of the ladder, and she was able to
    do Mephy quite safely with 150-310 MF. She did 200 runs with no problem. But
    died when I pushed her to A5 and tried to make Guardian.

    Regards-
    Mark

    Bongo Fury

    weretable and the undead chairs wrote:
    > I've never bothered building a Meph-running sorc but now want to do
    > so. What do you suggest, my fine fine newsgroupers? (has never taken
    > a sorc through Hell Baal...heh)

    If this sorc is ONLY for running mephy, then I would max ORB or
    Blizzard and its synergies. No need for a backup attack, as Mephy is
    never cold immune. In any case, a one trick pony is playable in the
    game in general, if you have a trusty merc. My last ladder snowflake
    had no backup attack, and did just fine against cold immunes by letting
    her barb do the tele-killing.

    Mickey

    Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz> kirjoitti:

    > weretable and the undead chairs <happy@nightmare.time>, in a display of
    >>I've never bothered building a Meph-running sorc but now want to do
    >>so. What do you suggest, my fine fine newsgroupers? (has never taken
    >>a sorc through Hell Baal...heh)
    >
    > Take your pick... Blizzard, Meteor, Firewall, Fireball, or Frozen Orb. The
    > last one seems quite underrated as a Meph killer, but with a high cold
    > mastery, Hell Mephisto drops in seconds. I can't comment on the use of

    Yes. High Cold Mastery is the key. (Not too high, as points above the
    point where it reaches 100 % are apparently wasted. But high.) With
    that, Mephisto dies in seconds, so if you're not going to use the lame
    "trap him where he can be safely pounded with meteors" trick, cold is
    definitely the way to go. Between the cold spells, it's a contest
    between Frozen Orb and Blizzard and the main differences between those
    are that Blizzard really likes to have points in the synergies while
    Orb doesn't need any and that Blizzard is a bit safer to use, since
    you can fire it off from as far as the screen goes while FO requires
    you to get closer. For HC chars it definitely makes a difference (I've
    lost an Orb sorc or two with the good old "switch to MF weapons and
    drop all caution when the boss is about to die" trick, but that mainly
    hits stupid people like me).

    (BTW FO damage on Meph varies depending on the distance you fire it
    from, so people who have never played sorcs should experiment on that.)

    For a first sorceress character, I'd recommend meteorb - 20 points
    Fireball, 20 points Meteor, 20 points Frozen Orb and initially 1 point
    Cold/Fire Mastery. Then either a few more points in Cold Mastery (if
    you're low on skill bonus items) or more points in Firebolt/Fire
    Mastery, depending on choice (generally, Fire Mastery helps Meteor
    more while Firebolt helps Fireball more, although it pays off to pump
    both, just one a bit more depending on whether you like FB or Meteor).

    > On a better connection, hitting the third-to-last or preferably
    > second-to-last cast speed breakpoint will usually allow you to teleport
    > past the monsters without them getting much of a chance to swing at you (a
    > holy freeze mercenary will help there, depending your connection/ability
    > to do this in general),

    A Defiance mercenary also helps. A lot of people write off defense for
    a sorc, but it really does help (unless you're far below the monsters'
    level; level makes a huge difference for chars without blocking). When
    the monsters have a 90 % chance to hit you, you're instantly screwed
    if you ever get close to a pack (like when teleporting), but you can
    take that chance much lower with a bit of defense. Most of the best
    sorc gear out there does have some def, especially if you upgrade all
    the normal/exceptional stuff that won't take too much strength as
    exceptional/elite, and the sorceress actually has a skill to boost
    defense unlike even some melee chars. (Not that I'd recommend pumping
    the skill beyond 1 point and +skill items.)

    IMHO Holy Freeze is a bit of a waste, if you use cold spells. Sure, it
    also chills a few monsters that the cold spells don't, so it's not a
    total waste, but that's really a minor benefit and won't really help
    at all against Mephisto.

    > which will render blocking largely unnecessary, in which case, go base
    > dexterity and use the saved points to pump up vitality, or energy.

    Nooooo! No energy. Use Insight.

    > 3C) For a non-block sorcereress not using the moat trick, life tap Mephisto,
    > then let your merc (hopefully) tank Mephisto while you finish him off.

    For tanking him, what really seems to matter is the merc's level (that
    Life Tap is a good idea for compensating a low level, though). My
    ladder sorc is now 90 and Mephisto usually can't kill the merc (who is
    currently wearing Insight in an eth colossus voulge, Tal's mask and
    Gladiator's Bane, so hardly any godly stuff) before I kill him.

    Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a Meteor/Orb gal might work out
    well.

    In article <slrn4ditjpj.8uh1.raipala@rock.it.helsinki.fi>,
    Jaakko Raipala <raipala@pcu.helsinki.fi> wrote:

    [big snip]

    >(BTW FO damage on Meph varies depending on the distance you fire it
    >from, so people who have never played sorcs should experiment on that.)

    Err, is there more to this than making sure the final 'explosion' of the
    orb is on top of Mephisto (or any monster for that matter)? If so, I'd
    like to know in words, because in my time playing Sorcs, that's about the
    only 'trick' I know with FO.

    Regards,

    Patrick.

    Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> kirjoitti:

    > Jaakko Raipala <raipala@pcu.helsinki.fi> wrote:
    >>(BTW FO damage on Meph varies depending on the distance you fire it
    >>from, so people who have never played sorcs should experiment on that.)
    >
    > Err, is there more to this than making sure the final 'explosion' of the
    > orb is on top of Mephisto (or any monster for that matter)?

    No. It just varies greatly and in that one short "sweet spot" where it
    explodes in the right spot Orb does massive damage, so I figured I'd
    point it out in a thread where it was already said that Orb is
    "underrated" as a Meph killer. I've had many people argue to me that
    FO doesn't do good damage against Meph, which is just silly, because
    there are only two things in the game that could possibly be better in
    damage-to-Meph than Frozen Orb - and one of them is another cold
    spell. I'm guessing it's because they've been over-cautious with the
    distance (easy to do, especially if you're playing in HC and eager to
    avoid getting even that close or).

    Jaakko Raipala <raipala@pcu.helsinki.fi>, in a display of leetness, fell down
    the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >> Take your pick... Blizzard, Meteor, Firewall, Fireball, or Frozen Orb. The
    >> last one seems quite underrated as a Meph killer, but with a high cold
    >> mastery, Hell Mephisto drops in seconds. I can't comment on the use of
    >
    >Yes. High Cold Mastery is the key. (Not too high, as points above the
    >point where it reaches 100 % are apparently wasted. But high.)

    For Mephisto, points above -100% are not a waste, since he has 75% cold
    resistance in Hell. In fact, there's is a strong case for MAXING cold
    mastery for a sorceress running Mephisto.

    >(BTW FO damage on Meph varies depending on the distance you fire it
    >from, so people who have never played sorcs should experiment on that.)

    Exactly!

    >> On a better connection, hitting the third-to-last or preferably
    >> second-to-last cast speed breakpoint will usually allow you to teleport
    >> past the monsters without them getting much of a chance to swing at you (a
    >> holy freeze mercenary will help there, depending your connection/ability
    >> to do this in general),
    >
    >A Defiance mercenary also helps. A lot of people write off defense for
    >a sorc, but it really does help (unless you're far below the monsters'
    >level; level makes a huge difference for chars without blocking). When
    >the monsters have a 90 % chance to hit you, you're instantly screwed
    >if you ever get close to a pack (like when teleporting), but you can
    >take that chance much lower with a bit of defense. Most of the best
    >sorc gear out there does have some def, especially if you upgrade all
    >the normal/exceptional stuff that won't take too much strength as
    >exceptional/elite, and the sorceress actually has a skill to boost
    >defense unlike even some melee chars. (Not that I'd recommend pumping
    >the skill beyond 1 point and +skill items.)

    >IMHO Holy Freeze is a bit of a waste, if you use cold spells. Sure, it
    >also chills a few monsters that the cold spells don't, so it's not a
    >total waste, but that's really a minor benefit and won't really help
    >at all against Mephisto.

    Certainly. I've always been a big fan of having holy freeze AND cold damage
    on a sorceress, since the effects stack, and I like to play quite defensively
    given my connection. But that's also as much a stylistic matter as well.
    :-)

    >> which will render blocking largely unnecessary, in which case, go base
    >> dexterity and use the saved points to pump up vitality, or energy.

    >Nooooo! No energy. Use Insight.

    Well, I'm a HUGE fan of Insight myself, but not everyone likes to rely on it,
    and might prefer to use a nice big damage crushing blow stick on their
    mercenary instead. Also, there is much variation depending on gear,
    especially at this point on the ladder.

    >> 3C) For a non-block sorcereress not using the moat trick, life tap Mephisto,
    >> then let your merc (hopefully) tank Mephisto while you finish him off.
    >
    >For tanking him, what really seems to matter is the merc's level (that
    >Life Tap is a good idea for compensating a low level, though). My
    >ladder sorc is now 90 and Mephisto usually can't kill the merc (who is
    >currently wearing Insight in an eth colossus voulge, Tal's mask and
    >Gladiator's Bane, so hardly any godly stuff) before I kill him.

    Definitely!

    It's interesting that you mention mercs and their ability to tank Mephisto.
    My current ladder girl either uses the moat trick or simply tanks Mephisto
    herself, as the mercenary is only level 87 and has no damage reduction items
    on, so even with Life Tap on him, he has to be thrown a lot of potions to
    live. Currently, it's much easier to simply run without him (this is SC,
    though), until I can buff him up some more. By contrast, the mercenary of my
    season 2 main magic finder would survive just fine.

    Good thread.

    --
    USWest SCL: 80 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

    weretable and the undead chairs <happy@nightmare.time>, in a display of
    leetness, fell down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked
    sash at Baal...

    >Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a Meteor/Orb gal might work out
    >well.

    We're always happy to help. :-)

    --
    USWest SCL: 80 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

    "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
    stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >For running Meph. Start in A4 and WP to D2. With only a Wizzy for FC I like
    >to run, going left from the WP. When you encounter monsters you teleport
    >past them. Also port across to the left whenever it appears on the mini map.
    >When you get to D3 recast your Armor and teleport hard right till you get
    >across the moat. I like to port near the red portal along the way to trigger
    >the bone walkway. When you get across the moat, cast an Orb towards Mephy to
    >chill him, then circle around him when he runs out and use your Lower Resist
    >wand on switch, be sure to stay in the clear cause you'll lose the resists
    >from Wizzy while on switch. Then run in close and Static him down to half.
    >Back off and Orb away, adjusting your position till you hit the 'sweet
    >spot'. Collect the goodies and exit stage right via the red portal to A4.

    I have to admit, I rarely use a lower resistance wand in that context.
    However, but since I'm now leaving my merc dead at the anyway until I
    level/gear up him up (that's for my SC MF), there's little need for a life tap
    wand anyway, so I may as well shave a few more seconds off the game times and
    use lower resistance instead.

    >Rinse and repeat. A lot.

    >For a Merc, I like a Prayer guy with a normal polearm Insight stick. You
    >need the Insight to keep your Mana up (even if you run into Mana Burners),
    >but you don't want him to be strong enough to kill the Dolls while you're
    >running to D3. Otherwise gear him up for maximum tanking. You don't need him
    >to kill Mephy, just tie him up while you're Staticing and Orbing. In my
    >experience this will require purple pots, so you'll need to mule purples in
    >when you mule the loot off.

    Ah, the rabbi. I have a couple of these, just not on casters that I use to
    run Mephisto. But I'll bear this in mind for my planned HC MF girl.

    --
    USWest SCL: 80 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:39:45 -0500, weretable and the undead chairs
    <happy@nightmare.time> wrote:

    >I've never bothered building a Meph-running sorc but now want to do
    >so. What do you suggest, my fine fine newsgroupers? (has never taken
    >a sorc through Hell Baal...heh)

    I use a Blizzard Sorc. - Level 82 or so right now I think...

    I think I currently have +3 Skills... using Wizspike for FCR...

    20 Blizz
    20 Glacial Spiek
    20 Ice Blast
    10 Cold Mastery
    18 Ice Bolt (going to max it)

    Points in Static, Warmth, Tele...

    I'll have a look at my stats and skill layout and post back...
    somewhere around +200% MF or so at the moment. I use a Defiance merc.
    and he seems to stay alive a little better than when I was using a
    Prayer merc. Still, my merc. survival rate is around 25% or so.

    Merc. is currently wearing...

    Tal's Mask (no socket)
    Duriel's Shell (no socket)
    Insight Thresher

    I use a wand of life tap on switch...

    General process is...

    1. Tele down to Meph
    2. Cast Life Tap
    3. Cast a Blizzard and a few Ice Blasts to slow Meph down a bit
    4. Static to 50% life (takes about 6-10 statics)
    5. Cast Blizzard and Ice Blasts until Meph is dead
    6. If merc. dies, do the moat trick (I never feed him pots)

    It works fairly well (faster than my old FB/FO sorc who had better
    gear). The main thing I wish is that my merc. could survive a bit
    longer in some cases... though cash is easy to come by to rez him. I
    figure better armor will help him and perhaps I can find an eth elite
    polearm eventually.

    Ancient Tunnels and Mausoleum are a breeze with this build, btw, and
    my merc. can handle CI spawns.

    - Samiel

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:12:02 GMT, Samiel <samiel@samiel.com> wrote:

    > Still, my merc. survival rate is around 25% or so.

    That should read "death rate" ... my merc dies only 1/4 or so, so he
    survives 75% of the time.

    - Samiel

    Samiel <samiel@samiel.com>, in a display of leetness, fell down the stairs,
    tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

    >I think I currently have +3 Skills... using Wizspike for FCR...

    I'm a big fan of wizzie as well, and most of my meph girls end up using it.
    I usually start off using an occulus, but then the combo of a high latency
    connection PLUS occy teleports gets a bit interesting in a dangerous kind of
    way. :-)

    I have one using a HOTO, too. Then again, it's the only HOTO that I have
    anyway, so... :-)

    "Spirit" would a great low price option if none of the above are available,
    for the high hit recovery combined with the other nice mods.

    Whee, lots of interesting threads for me to stick my nose into at the
    moment...

    --
    USWest SCL: 82 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

Games Diablo Video Games