Problems with Abit BX 133 Raid

icEDragon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Hello,
I’ve recently decided to build a second ,cheaper PC for internet use only and I’ve bought a Abit BX 133 RAID motherboard.The problem is that I have a Western Digital HDD (WD 300BB 30GB) wich I think it’s ATA 100,and when I connect him at the ATA 100 controler (with an ATA 100 cable of course) WIN XP refuses to start.In BIOS Manager the IDE 1 and IDE 2 are disabled and the ATA 100 is enabled(so at there are “none” devices specified at the start of the system but they are recognized after the start of the raid controller).I have also a CD-RW Teac connected at the IDE 4 .So after the start of the RAID ATA 100 controler I have a HDD master on IDE 3(primary master) and a CDW on IDE 4 (secondary master),after that….nothing….the Windows asks me if I want to boot in safe mode,normaly,etc and then the system restarts.I,ve also tried to put CDRW as a secondary master or a secondary slave.to enable the IDE1 and IDE2 controlers or to reinstall windows (after the initial setup he tells me that I have a problem with the HDD,a virus etc…witch is out of the question because I have installed it using a ATA 33 IDE cable with the HDD connected at IDE 1 as primary master and CDRW at IDE 1 also,as a primary slave) but the result was the same.What can I do to use the ATA 100 feature?Do I have to use only IDE 1 and IDE 2 controlers wich I repeat they work just fine?
Thank you.
Alex
P.S. I know this doesn’t count but the rest of the system is made around a Celeron 866,256 MB RAM SDRAM,and a Matrox G450 vga.Again I’m bagging you to help me!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I assume you've loaded the Promise drivers for that chip and the drive is set to cable select?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First thing I'd do is get the CD-ROM off the ATA100 controller and put that on IDE1 (Primary Master). Then I'd set the BIOS to boot from ATAPI CD-ROM first, then RAID controller (or SCSI or whatever your BIOS uses for that). Then you need to have a driver floppy for the RAID controller handy, boot off the Windows XP CD, and when prompted to insert a floppy and press F6, do so. Windows needs this driver to see the hard drive on the RAID controller.

From that point you'll need to install XP. If you already had XP installed, you'll probably be able to do a "repair installation" which basically reconfigures your hardware in Windows. Of course you're better off with a clean instal on a new partition.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

icEDragon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
To tell you the truth,after I've posted this I've read the motherboard manual more carefully and it all became clear to me....DRIVER!!!!
Thank you very,very much!
I'll try this solution and I will inform you about my findings...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
thats a nice board...it runs pretty well with my 2 800jbs

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by piii_Man on 06/30/04 11:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>