Pentium 4 Gaming Motherboard Recommendation?

2marshall8

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
What motherboard would you guys recommend I buy that is solid and reliable, made for a P4 2.4 w/533FSB, takes DDR 333 PC2700 RAM, and has AGP 8x? I own a soyo dragon lite p4x400 and when I have over 512MB of RAM the machine is a lot more unstable. The unstability manifests itself in the machine rebooting randomly, and programs locking up randomly. I figured I'd ask what you guys thought was good for a gaming motherboard because the requirements would be higher. The main manufacturers I was looking at were: ABIT, ASUS, and Gigabyte.

thanks
marshall

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd get the Abit IS7. Of course you could get the cheaper IS7-E or E2, but the IS7 is probably worth the extra $10 for it's added features. It cost around $90.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

2marshall8

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
Here's what I'm going to choose from, What is your recommendation knowing the components I'll be placing on this board:

ASUS P4P800
ASUS P4P800 DELUXE

Gigabyte MB-8IPEPRO
Gigabyte GA-8INXP
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000PRO

Abit IC7
Abit IS7M
Abit MB-IS7-E

MSI NEO2LS
MSI 865gNEO2LS
MSI PT880NEOLSR

thanks
marshall

VIA P4X400 Dragon Lite
Pentium 4 2.4GHZ 533MHZ Frontside
GeForceFX 5700
1GB PC2700 DDR - Kingston
Seagate 7200 80GB HDD
etc....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
None of the above:

1.) The P4P800 is a nice board, but has the same CPU vCore issue as teh P4C800 series as far as I know.

2.) Not familiar enough with the gigabyte boards

3.) The IC7 doesn't even include onboard LAN and is the most stripped down board of the bunch

4.) The IS7-M is Micro ATX

5.) the IS7-E is a stripped-down version of the IS7

6.) Not too familiar with the MSI boards, but I have the feeling they won their reviews by cheating (automatic overclocking program). I prefer to manually control my overclocking.

I'd go with the Abit IS7.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
I would not buy any Asus boards. I bought one and it is so hard to get a tech on the phone. I spent housr on hold waiting to get help with problems with my board. The tech department is not very helpful. They try one thing and then told me to send it back and get a new one.