xillrashun

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Hi, I was wondering if someone here could be the answer to all my problems.

Well, I had built my own PC about 2 and a half years ago, and it was all working fine and dandy until about last week. Suddenly, one day when I'm on the computer the monitor screen turns white with small vertical stripes, and I have no idea what happened. So naturally, I simply restarted the computer, and it functioned properly afterwards.

But since that day last week, my computer has repeatedly done the same thing, now happening much more frequently. It seems that whenever I try to do anything when the PC is under load -- burn a CD, print a document, etc -- the monitor goes white and renders the computer inoperable. I'm pretty sure even when the monitor goes white I cannot do anything; as in, when I try to control+alt+delete the computer into restarting nothing happens.

I can always load windows, but once I'm logged on, its only a matter of time untl the dreaded "white screen of death." Anybody have any suggestions? I'm not sure if it's the video card, since it only seems to occur when the PC is under load... or is it? Processor? Hard drive? Motherboard? I'm all out of ideas over here, so any response will be greatly apperciated.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Heya Xillrashun

Man where to start there could be a million things possibly wrong.

You are just going to have to trouble shoot and start eliminating possibilities.

Start with the most obvious possible thing, Graphics card, then work your way to memory, then PSU. If its none of those things then start looking at your Mobo.

You can trouble shoot these by replacing each piece of hardware with one you know works, one piece of hardware at a time, dont buy new hardware, just borrow some or take it out of one of your other PC's with similar hardware.

You will eventually figure out which piece of hardware is defective by eliminating possibilities.

<font color=blue> <Archer> Cant this trhing go any faster, I thought this was a Warp 5 engine?

<Trip> Yeah, on Paper... </font color=blue>