temporary bans targeting muling?

I was muling over a nightsmoke and some other items to my new sorc
when I get the stupid temporary ban. I tried to go back on, of course
I was unable. Five minutes later I was able to sign on. I usually
just leave when I get a temp ban rather than hang around waiting to
get back on and I figured you would be banned for longer than that.
But it was just long enough for the muling game to die. Lame, Blizz.
Really lame.

weretable and the undead chairs wrote:
> I was muling over a nightsmoke and some other items to my new sorc
> when I get the stupid temporary ban. I tried to go back on, of course
> I was unable. Five minutes later I was able to sign on. I usually
> just leave when I get a temp ban rather than hang around waiting to
> get back on and I figured you would be banned for longer than that.
> But it was just long enough for the muling game to die. Lame, Blizz.
> Really lame.

Actually, they are targeting bots. Muling just happens to sometimes
trigger it.

Mickey

weretable and the undead chairs wrote:
> Actually I hadn't thought about the bots since I do not use them, but
> I guess a Pindlebot or whatever would be leaving and making games like
> crazy. Couldn't they just target characters making new games really
> fast though? Or is there some sort of botting that uses the same game
> over and over?

Yes, and the people making the bots have gotten smart enough to build
in a delay so that they don't trigger it TOO fast.

Mickey

Actually I hadn't thought about the bots since I do not use them, but
I guess a Pindlebot or whatever would be leaving and making games like
crazy. Couldn't they just target characters making new games really
fast though? Or is there some sort of botting that uses the same game
over and over?

weretable and the undead chairs <happy@nightmare.time>, in a display of
leetness, fell down the stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked
sash at Baal...

>I was muling over a nightsmoke and some other items to my new sorc
>when I get the stupid temporary ban. I tried to go back on, of course
>I was unable. Five minutes later I was able to sign on. I usually
>just leave when I get a temp ban rather than hang around waiting to
>get back on and I figured you would be banned for longer than that.
>But it was just long enough for the muling game to die. Lame, Blizz.
>Really lame.

Fortunately I haven't had too many such bans recently (and when I do,
fortunately I can at least reconnect my ISP and get a character back into the
game), but I have noticed a LOT of muling games are collapsing while being
permed, in recent weeks. On USWest, that is.

--
USWest SCL: 80 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

weretable and the undead chairs <happy@nightmare.time> wrote:

> I was muling over a nightsmoke and some other items to my new sorc
> when I get the stupid temporary ban. I tried to go back on, of course
> I was unable. Five minutes later I was able to sign on. I usually
> just leave when I get a temp ban rather than hang around waiting to
> get back on and I figured you would be banned for longer than that.
> But it was just long enough for the muling game to die. Lame, Blizz.
> Really lame.

I think this was just coincidence. I haven't had any problems muling or
being banned aside from the odd disconnect. It's unfortunate when it
happens in a muling game but I don't think they're being specifically
targeted.

Shari (Orchid)

They aren't targeting muling, they are targeting too many
quit/join/leaving games repeatedly. Which is what one is doing when
muling.

Best thing to do is perm a game, drop items for mule, quit, wait 10
seconds, select mule or whatever character, then connect to your game,
stay in the game for a minute or so. Repeat as necessary, just don't
rush the quit/new character/join proceedure.

"Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net>, in a display of leetness, fell down the
stairs, tripped over an urn, and then threw a cracked sash at Baal...

>weretable and the undead chairs wrote:
>> Actually I hadn't thought about the bots since I do not use them, but
>> I guess a Pindlebot or whatever would be leaving and making games like
>> crazy. Couldn't they just target characters making new games really
>> fast though? Or is there some sort of botting that uses the same game
>> over and over?
>
>Yes, and the people making the bots have gotten smart enough to build
>in a delay so that they don't trigger it TOO fast.

Yeah, silly Blizzard for not figuring out that they're do that. :)

--
USWest SCL: 82 barb, 87 necro, 87 paladin, 87 sorceress.

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:58:14 -0500, weretable and the undead chairs
<happy@nightmare.time> wrote:

>Or is there some sort of botting that uses the same game
>over and over?

Shopping bots could certainly do that.

-- Roy L