HP Jetdirect EX Plus3 Print server

I tried to cold reset an HP Jetdirect external print server without success,
unplug the power cord from the HP Jetdirect print server, then hold down the
TEST button for five to 30 seconds while plugging in the power cord. Can
someone advise how to reset the community name so I can re-configure the
print server.

Thanks,

Ray
6 answers Last reply
More about jetdirect plus3 print server

    On the seventh day, Ray wrote...

    > I tried to cold reset an HP Jetdirect external print server without success,
    > unplug the power cord from the HP Jetdirect print server, then hold down the
    > TEST button for five to 30 seconds while plugging in the power cord. Can
    > someone advise how to reset the community name so I can re-configure the
    > print server.

    Ray,

    you need to add a printer to the first parallel port of the print server.
    Try to push the test button - if all goes well, this should print out the
    status page of the print server along with essential information about
    network configuration. However, I am not totally sure as to how to print.
    It is fairly reasonable that any combination of powering up the print
    server and pressing and holding the test button will eventually succeed...

    Once you get that information, set your PC's network card to be in the same
    IP subnet of the print server (connect both the print server and the PC to
    the switch, don't let any device route network traffic yet). Get and
    install the HP WebjetAdmin software and run a discovery of the print
    server. Once you've done that, you can set up the ports and the network
    configuration of the print server. Set it to have a local IP address
    (192.168.1.x). Set your PC's IP address also to be in the same subnet
    (netmask 255255.255.0). Alternatively, use as netmask and subnet any
    private network you wish (there are several, but 192.168.x.x/netmask
    255.255.255.0 is the most common and suitable for small/medium households).

    Reboot both print server and PC.

    Add a printer using the add printer wizard and tell Windows to use a local
    parallel port (e.g. LPT1). Don't use the add network printer wizard yet as
    it often just won't work. After all, you are basically setting up a
    parallel port over a network, so it's got to be fine...

    Open the properties of the printer you've just set up and click on ports.
    Click on "add port" or create or similar, don't remember exactly. Select
    "standard (HP) IP port" and enter the IP address of the print server. Click
    OK and try to print a test page.

    Please get back to us and give some feedback as to your success or failure
    following these procedures.

    HTH

    Little Golden Book That Never Made It: All Cats Go to Hell

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:23:15 +0800, Ray <NoSpam-Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote:
    > I tried to cold reset an HP Jetdirect external print server without success,
    > unplug the power cord from the HP Jetdirect print server, then hold down the
    > TEST button for five to 30 seconds while plugging in the power cord. Can
    > someone advise how to reset the community name so I can re-configure the
    > print server.

    If it is anything like our single EX Plus, all you have to do is connect
    it to a printer and hit the test button to print its configuration. Once
    you know its IP, telnet to it and configure it. Or you can use HP
    WebJetAdmin software. Or HP's firmware update program can find it and
    update its firmware.

    Our factory thought that this EX Plus they sent us was broken. But it was
    just hard coded to a dyxlexic 192.186.. IP (instead of 192.168..). So I
    just set a PC to a 192.186.. static IP, to telnet to and reconfigure it.
    Then I configured a local TCP printer port for it on our XP PCs.

    I wouldn't know what a community name is used for.

    "Ray" <NoSpam-Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote in message
    >I tried to cold reset an HP Jetdirect external print server without
    >success, unplug the power cord from the HP Jetdirect print server, then
    >hold down the TEST button for five to 30 seconds while plugging in the
    >power cord. Can someone advise how to reset the community name so I can
    >re-configure the print server.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray
    Instead of Web JetAdmin, you could use the Install Network Printer Wizard.
    It works on local subnets with JetDirect firmware x.03.16 or greater. With
    INPW, there's less to setup. It can be found on HP's site at:
    http://snipurl.com/ba3q

    Good luck,

    Robert

    On the seventh day, Ray wrote...

    > Dear All,
    >
    > Many thanks for all of you who responded to my email. I have fixed the
    > problem by using HP Download Manager to upgrade the firmware and Web
    > JetAdmin to configure the print server to TCPIP protocol. Currently, I
    > cannot figure out how to access it Embedded Web Server by entering its
    > address of 192.168.0.5. Any idea to make it work?

    The Jetdirect Ex Plus 3 doesn't have any built-in webserver (I just checked
    mine). Whatever you have to configure, you need to do it either via telnet
    or the WebjetAdmin interface.

    HTH

    Little Golden Book That Never Made It: All Cats Go to Hell

    Dear All,

    Many thanks for all of you who responded to my email. I have fixed the
    problem by using HP Download Manager to upgrade the firmware and Web
    JetAdmin to configure the print server to TCPIP protocol. Currently, I
    cannot figure out how to access it Embedded Web Server by entering its
    address of 192.168.0.5. Any idea to make it work?

    Ray

    "Ray" <NoSpam-Ray282828@Yahoo.com.HK> wrote in message
    >I tried to cold reset an HP Jetdirect external print server without
    >success, unplug the power cord from the HP Jetdirect print server, then
    >hold down the TEST button for five to 30 seconds while plugging in the
    >power cord. Can someone advise how to reset the community name so I can
    >re-configure the print server.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    Christian,

    Thanks for your prompt reply. I note EWS option and checked in Web JetAdmin
    and believe there is EWS.

    Ray

    "Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
    > On the seventh day, Ray wrote...
    >
    >> Dear All,
    >>
    >> Many thanks for all of you who responded to my email. I have fixed the
    >> problem by using HP Download Manager to upgrade the firmware and Web
    >> JetAdmin to configure the print server to TCPIP protocol. Currently, I
    >> cannot figure out how to access it Embedded Web Server by entering its
    >> address of 192.168.0.5. Any idea to make it work?
    >
    > The Jetdirect Ex Plus 3 doesn't have any built-in webserver (I just
    > checked
    > mine). Whatever you have to configure, you need to do it either via telnet
    > or the WebjetAdmin interface.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
    > Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin
    >
    > Little Golden Book That Never Made It: All Cats Go to Hell

Hewlett Packard Power Servers Computers