pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Ok I have had a problem with my P4C800 deluxe mb. The first one I had problems with the lan card and USB's not working. I returned it and got a new one. Now I am having a problem with little boxes with lines running all over the screen ( only in windows). I have tried putting the board on the box it came in thinking it might have a short. Nothing still. I gave up after 5 days and nights trying ti figure out the problem.

I took the computer to a shop and asked them to look into it and find out the problem. He said I did not have stand offs on the case. I told him to look again that the Lian-Li PC-75 had the metal squares pushed in the back. He said he had never seen that before. I told him it was the only stand offs that came with the case and board. He told me that the case will not take the board. I had to tell him that the case will take an ATX board, wichi is what I have.

Another thing I have noticed is that I need to raise the board up or out so the video and sound card will sit right and be able to screw them in place. This has puzzled me since the day I out the ystem together.

I did take the computer apart to see if I had something touching or something not right. I cleaned everything down and re-installed everything and still nothing works right.

Could it be that the case will not work with the board or that I am mising parts? I am lost right now and don't want to pay $100 to be told this information.

Here is the rest of the specs:

P4 3.0c
Thermalright SP-94 Heatsink
80mm Vantec Tornado Fan
RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB
OCZ PC-4200
Vantec Iceberq 4 VGA cooler
Antec 550W Power Supply
CoolerMaster Silver Aerogate II
Vantec Nexus NXP-305
Lite-On 52x/32x/52x

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
I would have to agree with the computer shop again, especially as you say you have to pull the board out to get the cards to sit right. Sounds like you're missing the standoffs for your case. Might contact whomever you bougth it from.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya pensfan:

I dont know what to tell you bud, obviously the mobo doesnt fit properly, if the motherboard is sitting too low when its attached to the mounting plate, then you need to get standoffs, the standard style stand-offs would be ideal, if there is a place on the grounding plate to insert them, If i had to guess i would say that the grounding plate has raised up mounting holes and still requires stand-offs, get a bag of stand-offs and screw them in and try it like that i bet ya it will work, if not i would say screw that case and go get a different one. Do yourself a favor and go get a bag of ATX stand-offs, a buck for a bag of stand-offs is alot cheaper then buying a new case, especially when this will solve your problem, trust me on this one, but if it doesnt work then that case is a POS, sorry to have to say it like that but if it slithers like a snake...

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Pensfan

Ok i have seen that type of standoff before, one of my oldest ATX cases has that style in it, those are supposed to be all you need, and in my case they work like they are supposed to, the only thing i can think of at this point is the motherboard tray isnt alligned properly, pull it out and make sure it slides onto its rails like its supposed to, and it should be fine. If not, im not sure what to tell you.

pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Hey ya XeenRecoil,

The case does not have a removable motherboard tray. I thought of that too until I came to my senses and remembered it does not have a removable tray. So at thispoint I would have to say maybe the tray is bent or the case is not square. That is the only thing left I can think of. Unless I need a plastic stand off to go with them.

I have no other idea what the problem could be.

pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Well XeenRecoil. I thought about that, but I cut the fan holes out so more air can get through. So that is out of the question. Maybe I can sell it down the road. I will have to look into this a little bit more and see if I can come up with a answer.

Thanks for the help!!

pensfan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Well I got word that my stand offs were not pushed in as far as they are to go. I tolfd them I could not get them to go any further. He said my board was touching and shorting out. He said they got the board up and going no problem and think it is going to be fine. However he said the graphics card might be shot. He said they tried another card and it was fine. They will try it again and see what happens. They said windows was corrupt and could be causing the problem with the graphics card.

I will keep you up on the problems. He said he had to uise something hard to get the standoffs pushed in all the way.

Who would have thought!

Thanks for the help!!!!