New system configuration

Gritzmasta

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2004
Need help configuring new system which will be my first attempt at a custom pc. I'm going for best bang for buck system which i would like to do DV editing on. Not big into games, but wouldnt mind one every now and then. But mostly internet, mp3, DV editing.No major productions, just home vids.I would definatly like to try overclocking, and would like to network old pc to this system and share same cable modem connection. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks! So, after about 3 weeks of reading post, I've come up with this for the basic setup:

-ABIT "AI7" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478
-Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology
-Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200
-Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
-Thermaltake "Volcano 7+" Fan
-Case
-Dvd burner
Not sure on graphics card?

This set up puts me at $478 I would like to stay under $700? If possible?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wouldn't use the AI7, I'd use the Abit IS7. The AI7 is a newer version...cheaper to produce, which is why Abit promotes it!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IS7 has 10/100 LAN, firewire, ICH5R SATA RAID
IS7-G (gigabit) adds gigabit LAN
IS7-E (economy) subtracts Firewire (and no ICH5R I think)
IS7-E2...another economy version
IS7-M Micro ATX
IS7-V "value" with 848 chipset (IS7-E minus dual-channel).

Like I said, I recommend the IS7.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>