GA-H55N-USB3: Mini-ITX mobo with USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Looks like it will be a capable htpc. I wonder about the graphics on it though. Will it do 1080p at a good bitrate through the graphics card on the processor?

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
It needs more PCI Express slots. If you want it to be a real HTPC it needs slots to put your TV tuner cards. I also wonder how the integrated Intel can handle Blu-Ray decoding.

most_wanted

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
it looks good, with numerous capacitors..and the price is acceptable as a product from gigabyte.
though $100 will be a much more favourable price of course

traken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
This is going in my next computer, as long as the reviews are decent to it. The only other recent Intel mini-itx boards are from DFI and Zotac. The Zotac one is apparently plagued with bios problems, while the DFI one has some problems of its own. Hmmm

johnb4467

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
The i3 / i5 igp's are actually quite good for blu-ray playback. I have been eyeing them for a potential HTPC for a good while now, and with them, the cpu utilization is extremely low. Couple that with being able to output lossless HD-audio formats, and it's quite a great little board.
For gaming, this will not be enough GPU power. For htpc, which it was made for -- or even for a htpc / render station combo (which I'm looking into one for), this might be a perfect solution. The only thing I don't like is only having one pci-e port...but if you need more, then that's not what the mini-itx build is for; not a fault of its own, just not what you need. :)

As far as raid, well...there are esata solutions for that. :)

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]crom[/nom]It needs more PCI Express slots. If you want it to be a real HTPC it needs slots to put your TV tuner cards. I also wonder how the integrated Intel can handle Blu-Ray decoding.[/citation]

That is kind of a silly comment, since the mini-ITX form factor only supports one expansion slot. And a tuner is not essential for an HTPC. First, not everyone who has an HTPC uses it as a DVR, and second the HR-Homerun is an excellent HDTV tuner and work over your network. Does not require an PCIe slot.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Looks like it will be a capable htpc. I wonder about the graphics on it though. Will it do 1080p at a good bitrate through the graphics card on the processor?[/citation]

From everything I've seen, full HD playback is not a problem. I believe I read the original articles at Anandtech...I'm looking at i3/ITX for another HTPC - seems very capable.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]crom[/nom]It needs more PCI Express slots. If you want it to be a real HTPC it needs slots to put your TV tuner cards. I also wonder how the integrated Intel can handle Blu-Ray decoding.[/citation]

I think the ITX form factor is pretty limited in the number of slots it can have...for the small size, you have to make some sacrifices

G

I used mine with i7 860 and managed to get just 3.2ghz on it... but I only spend 10 mins by increasing the multiplier SPD... nothing else... I did not mess with other memory settings, TRAs, etc etc.. it is also cool at 36-40 degrees Cel. Anyone knows additional settings I can change?

Status
Not open for further replies.