Sign in with
Your question

All my games freezing after few minutes/hours of gameplay...

Last response: in Video Games
May 6, 2010 10:53:31 PM

I don't know, but it has been this way ever since I built my new desktop. Nothing is overclocked, just a Phenom II X4 965, ASUS ATi Radeon 5870, Mushkin 8Gb DDR3 RAM @ 7-7-7-20, and the rest on my profile, all at their defaults on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Among the games that eventually freeze are Sims 3, Spore, and Dragon Age Origins. I updated the Cataclyst drivers, ran a memory diagnostic, and the PC runs perfectly fine, except when playing games, as they, at one point or another, suddenly freeze, and the entire program closes (if I didn't get to save, I'm screwed). I also max them out, and they never lag or anything of the sort. Just plain freeze out of nowhere.

What are some procedures to take here as I have no clue what to do about the subject... Thanks in advance.
May 7, 2010 9:20:18 AM

Doing some research around, I noticed it could very well be the PSU. However, I have a new Corsair 750W PSU powering this rig. I believe that should be more than enough to handle this CrossFire-less rig, no?
m
l
May 7, 2010 12:40:57 PM

Your PSU's more than enough to handle a 5870 crossfire setup, unless of course, it's a defective unit.
You might want to run a prime95 test & see if the system runs stable. Also, which is your motherboard?
It would be great if you gave us the cpu/gpu idle & load temps. If they seem on the higher side, the excessive heat could be throttling down the system. The cause could be many, like improperly mounting the hsf, etc. But first tell the temps.
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2010 8:35:26 PM

Mega-Japan said:
Doing some research around, I noticed it could very well be the PSU. However, I have a new Corsair 750W PSU powering this rig. I believe that should be more than enough to handle this CrossFire-less rig, no?

Weird.. Same thing happens to me and I have the exact same psu. Every game I play it crashes after a few minutes/hour, either blue screen, freeze or windows closes it down. Of course I have my E8600 overclocked to 4.2ghz, but it ran prime stable for 24hrs. O yea, I did turn the overclock off and it still happened.
m
l
May 7, 2010 9:06:11 PM

Generally this is a sign of over heating.

As an experiement remove the side cover and let a house fan blow into the case.
If the freezing stops, you have found your answer.
m
l
May 8, 2010 12:29:28 AM

I wouldn't think so, as I have check the temperatures myself and the GPU wouldn't go above 45°C, while CPU keeps in its middle 30's. The room itself is at low temperatures below 20°C and the desktop is packed with fans on all sides, including a Zalman 9900 covering on the CPU.

I've been running Prime95 Stress Tester for the past 6 hours or so, all tests successfully pass. I really don't know what to try anymore...

titdoctor said:
Weird.. Same thing happens to me and I have the exact same psu. Every game I play it crashes after a few minutes/hour, either blue screen, freeze or windows closes it down. Of course I have my E8600 overclocked to 4.2ghz, but it ran prime stable for 24hrs. O yea, I did turn the overclock off and it still happened.

Windows closing it off is my main problem. That is, after giving me a frozen frame for like 2 minutes waiting to see if it restores.

I used to get random system reboots before I found out that my RAM was running on low voltage, and after increasing the voltage from the motherboard default 1.5v to 1.9v, that stopped happening.
m
l
!