Your question

MSI K8N Neo Plat. reading wrong temps?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • BIOS
  • Front Panel
Last response: in Motherboards
July 9, 2004 4:59:32 AM

A64 3200+ Newcastle(retail heatsink/fan)

I've read that there might be heat reading problems with this mobo, but I want to make sure because reading the BIOS temps scare me.

BIOS readings:

Idle: 57-60c
Load: 67-70c

Case(front panel) readings:

Idle: 33-37c
Load: 40-43c

Which one is right? And why are they reading different temps? Is the front panel hooked up directly to the cpu? Sorry for noob questions, but this is my first pc that actually reads the temps.

I also know there is a beta BIOS for the heat reading problems with the Newcastle core. Has anyone tried these and did they fix the problem?

Thanks.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ltj311 on 07/09/04 02:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : msi k8n neo plat reading wrong temps

a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2004 6:48:54 AM

I wouldn't be surprized if the readings were BOTH wrong. That's because they only way you can get the thermal sensor for your case to read the TRUE core temp is to put it between the core and the heatsink, but that's a bad idea because it would create a thermal barrier between the core and sink. So thermal diods will almost always read a little lower than actual temp.

As for motherboard thermal sensors taken from the die, they're often wrong too.

Would you like me to guess that your temps are somewhere in between those readings?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 9, 2004 8:57:55 AM

Quote:
Would you like me to guess that your temps are somewhere in between those readings?

Well if that's the case then that is still unsettling news. Because that would make my temps 46-50c at Idle and 54-57c at full load. That is still pretty high. And I've heard that these athlon 64's are supposed to be relatively cool cpu's.

So would you even say, after the BIOS which supposedly fixes the wrong temp readings, that they would still be off? Unsettling indeed.

Heh, it was much easier on my mind when I was unable to read temps on my previous computer. Now they are always at the back of my mind. I find myself constantly looking at the front panel display of the temps.

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)
"I just can't live without rageahol." - Homer Simpson
a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2004 9:27:00 AM

I think your "computer problems" might be cured if you took a laxitave, those temps aren't high.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!