jcesar2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
hey guys , i built my second computer today so i don't have a lot of knowledge, the first computer i built, i had no problems , that was a few months ago, but this one doesn't want to start, when i press the on swwitch i see the led indicator on the motherboard light up green and then the cpu fan starts spinning and 3 seconds later, everything shuts down, i don't even get anything on the screen. any suggestions?????
this is my setup:
asus p4r800v deluxe
p4 e "presscot" 2.8
2 sims of 512 megs corsair dual channel compatible
the case is a thermal take from antek with 7 fans
and i put a sata hitachi hd 160 gigs.
i double checked the ram and the cpu everything seems to be in place i don't know what to do. for your help thanks...

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It sounds like your motherboard touching case's chassis causes it short to ground.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I would try to rule out the CPU, memory, and video card. Try swapping some components, if they will work with the motherboard. Obviosuly you are not going to try to use SDRAM on a DDR board. If you have a friend or have some parts from another comp, try to switch out one component at a time. That may eliminate some components. Also, like said above, it could be shorting out. It could also be a faulty PSU.

jcesar2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
hey guys thanks for your help, but i keep on having the same problem, i changed the ram for a spare 256 mb pc 3200 and the video is actually included on the motherboard, i also borrowed a northwood p4 from a friend, and also dismounted the motherboard and when i mounted it again made sure there was no contact with the case, maybe it is a faulty motherboard???. someone mentioned it could be a faulty psu?? what is that?? for your attention thanks!

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
What Power supply do you have, and what is the wattage. You could be overloading it. Try unlugging things that are not needed for the computer to POST. You don't need any hard drives, CD drives, or floppy drives to start up. Also, unplug all those extra fans. Try it then, if it starts up, you need to upgrade the PSU.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I agree with davemar14, unplug EVERYTHING you dont need, fans, hard drives, CD drives then see if the system will post.
Also one other thing make sure the clear CMOS jumper is in the correct position, I once left it on clear and had exactly the same symptoms as you.

jcesar2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
hey guys thanks for your help...but i still have the same problems.. well first of all my psu is an antec 420 watts, i got it at new egg, i decided to get that one because i wanted to plug a lot of stuff to it, but anyway i have only conected the motherboard to it, and still doesn't want to work, i cleared the cmos, tryied starting it up with no ram, no hd conected no cd unit, no fans, still the same problem motherboard lights up cpu fans spin for 3 seconds and then it shutsdown, i decided to get a whole new set up from a friend a gigabyte motherboard a northwood cpu different set of ram and i get the same problem!!!!i am thinking that it has got to be the psu, maybe it nees a lot of power to run and my apartment doesn't support it??? maybe it is a defective psu????? i don't know guys ,if somebody canget me a ny ideas , thanks!!!!!

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Have you tried running the MB outside of the case to make sure it isn't a grounding problem?
Is the heatsink using a 3 pin connector? And is it plugged into the cpu fan connector and not the power supply fan connector. I ran into a similar problem with a friends PC where the MB wasn't detecting a cpu fan so it thought there wasn't one and shut down to avoid damage to the CPU.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23900" target="_new">System</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2072215" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
--------------------
hey guys thanks for your help...but i still have the same problems.. well first of all my psu is an antec 420 watts, i got it at new egg, i decided to get that one because i wanted to plug a lot of stuff to it, but anyway i have only conected the motherboard to it, and still doesn't want to work, i cleared the cmos, tryied starting it up with no ram, no hd conected no cd unit, no fans, still the same problem motherboard lights up cpu fans spin for 3 seconds and then it shutsdown, i decided to get a whole new set up from a friend a gigabyte motherboard a northwood cpu different set of ram and i get the same problem!!!!i am thinking that it has got to be the psu, maybe it nees a lot of power to run and my apartment doesn't support it??? maybe it is a defective psu????? i don't know guys ,if somebody canget me a ny ideas , thanks!!!!!
----------------------
Is it the true power? Make sure you don't have something (besides a fan) hooked up to the "fan only connection". I didn't realize this till I was reading the manual last week but that connection will actually cycle down up to three case fans when not under load in order to run quieter. If you plug your optical drive or hdd in to that connection it wouldn't work properly. There is also a three pin connector with that power supply that will do the same for your other three pin fans plugged into mobo (cpu and otherwise I believe). Also if I am not mistaken it is possible (don't know about your specific mobo and all this is a shot in the dark) that the ps is cycling down your fans so low that they are tripping the threshold set in bios and shutting your comp down.

Actually, I think I know exactly what is wrong buddy....your psu isn't on. Make sure the switch on the back is turned on. Once you turn it on you shouldn't have to mess with it unless you have to do a cold boot and control-alt-delete or you case reset doesn't work. Don't ask me why it cycles up the fans at all if the switch is off but I had it happen to me in the past so I know it does....

If it isn't that double check your case to mobo connections maybe...

if that doesn't work maybe it is defective like you were thinking..

hope it helps

<font color=black>yippie ki ya, m..........<font color=black>

TRENDING THREADS