Rhino

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Hello everyone,

I recently ordered a PC online and selected the MSI K8T Neo motherboard for my Athlon-64 3200+ CPU. The company sent me a confirmation tha the PC was finished and was being shipped and the email listed all of the components in it.

Much to my surprise they substituted an Albatron K8X800 Pro in place of the MSI board. Are these two boards comparable or is there a clear edge with the MSI board? I know that the boards use the same chipset but I chose the MSI board in part because of the posters on this forum seem to like them. I also paid $10.00 to upgrade to the MSI board which they conveniently did not refund.

I want to have some feedback in case I get into a pissing match with the builder.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rhino on 07/11/04 11:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Rhino

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Edited this because I forgot to put the model of Albatron board in original post.

Need info on these boards please...........

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe the builder got sick of returns and lousy tech support like <A HREF="http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=53430&sid=" target="_new">these people!</A> :frown:

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.30 - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - EAT ME MSI!

Rhino

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Thanks for the reply Cybercraig.

Now I'm really confused......

I thought that MSI boards were of a higher quality than Albatron boards (on similiar products).

Is the MSI board better than the Albatron or did the builder do me a favor?

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought that MSI boards were of a higher quality than Albatron boards (on similiar products).
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

You and me both pal! After fighting MSI's top 875P board for 5 months, I posed this question to tech support: "No matter what pair of sticks I put in here, I cannot get them to post at a 400mhz. I can get one stick to run fine even way overclocked, but as soon as I stick in two it defaults them to 333mhz and forces a 5:4 CPU ratio, no matter where I set the buss."
Two days later, a brilliant response: "What is this 5:4 ratio you are refering to?" WTF??????????????????????
That did it! If these are the people you want to deal with be my guest! If you have any problems though, you can count on MSI to blame every chipmaker, memory maker, or power supply manufacturer over their own stupid engineers. There is a reason that the NF3-250 Neo boards were sent out for review in April yet not released for two months after that. Unbelievable BIOS issues! Terrible memory incompatibility! Temperature issues! Now go over to the ABIT forum and look at all the IS7 problems. Can't find any? That's because they ain't there!
Don't believe all the reviews you read are the norm! They send out hand picked boards with custom BIOS, hand picked memory sticks, etc., etc., for testing whenever they can get away with it. Go to the forums and read what problems people are having and take that into consideration. If someone from MSI tells you Jesus Christ is coming back to earth tomorrow; SLEEP IN! JMHO

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.30 - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - EAT ME MSI!