Wireless not "seeing" wired PC's and visa versa

Hi,

A couple of years ago, I hard wired my house with Cat5. I have a
cable modem set up under my wife's desk. It is connected to a wired
router that distributes the cables throughout the house. All wired
PC's can share files, and all have internet access via the cable
modem.

Last year I got a WRT54G wireless router so I could use my Sony's
wirless card. I placed it a back bedroom and just ran a Cat5 cable
directly into it from the wall plate. I found that my Sony saw the
wireless router and gave me internet access with no problem.

But, it can't see my other 3 wired PC's or share files with them and
they can't see the Sony.

I think it can be accomplished. Unfortunately, I don't have the
expertise to do so. Any idea's?

TIA

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:55:53 -0700, SS_Supreme <sssupreme@psu.edu>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>A couple of years ago, I hard wired my house with Cat5. I have a
>cable modem set up under my wife's desk. It is connected to a wired
>router that distributes the cables throughout the house. All wired
>PC's can share files, and all have internet access via the cable
>modem.
>
>Last year I got a WRT54G wireless router so I could use my Sony's
>wirless card. I placed it a back bedroom and just ran a Cat5 cable
>directly into it from the wall plate. I found that my Sony saw the
>wireless router and gave me internet access with no problem.
>
>But, it can't see my other 3 wired PC's or share files with them and
>they can't see the Sony.
>
>I think it can be accomplished. Unfortunately, I don't have the
>expertise to do so. Any idea's?

You have what is commonly known as "double NAT". This is not
necessarily a bad thing, but will prevent you for accessing anything
other than the internet from the 2nd router. What's happening is that
your first router (under your wife's desk) is doing one NAT
translation from whatever the cable company delivers for an IP address
to something like 192.168.0.xxx. Your 2nd router picked up an IP
address from the DHCP server in the first router of something like
192.168.0.100, and is doing another NAT translation to the wireless
LAN side as something like 192.168.1.xxx.

What you need to do is convert your WRT54G into an "access point" and
completely ignore the router features.
1. Your first step is to connect to the WRT54G and set the router LAN
IP address to something in the 192.168.0.xxx IP range (or whatever
your first router delivers). Do not select anything that is within
the DHCP IP address range of the first router.
2. Then, turn *OFF* the DHCP server in the WRT54G.
3. Connect the CAT5 cable that goes to your first router into one of
the LAN (switch) ports on the WRT54G. You may need to build a
reversing cable. If the light come on normally on the port, it's
working.

That's it. Your Sony laptop will now have an IP address delivered by
the first router and be able to yack with the other machinery.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:21:33 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
>You have what is commonly known as "double NAT". This is not
>necessarily a bad thing, but will prevent you for accessing anything
>other than the internet from the 2nd router. What's happening is that
>your first router (under your wife's desk) is doing one NAT
>translation from whatever the cable company delivers for an IP address
>to something like 192.168.0.xxx. Your 2nd router picked up an IP
>address from the DHCP server in the first router of something like
>192.168.0.100, and is doing another NAT translation to the wireless
>LAN side as something like 192.168.1.xxx.
>
>What you need to do is convert your WRT54G into an "access point" and
>completely ignore the router features.
>1. Your first step is to connect to the WRT54G and set the router LAN
>IP address to something in the 192.168.0.xxx IP range (or whatever
>your first router delivers). Do not select anything that is within
>the DHCP IP address range of the first router.
>2. Then, turn *OFF* the DHCP server in the WRT54G.
>3. Connect the CAT5 cable that goes to your first router into one of
>the LAN (switch) ports on the WRT54G. You may need to build a
>reversing cable. If the light come on normally on the port, it's
>working.
>
>That's it. Your Sony laptop will now have an IP address delivered by
>the first router and be able to yack with the other machinery.

Thank you Mr. Lieberman. I'll give it a shot this week and let you
know how it works. Shalom

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:43:49 -0700, SS_Supreme <sssupreme@psu.edu>
wrote:

>Thank you Mr. Lieberman. I'll give it a shot this week and let you
>know how it works. Shalom

What I did:

1. I set the Local IP on the WRT54G from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.240
(Just made up a number below .254, yet high enough to where I thought
it would work).

2. I turned OFF the DHCP server in the WRT54G.

3. I switched the CAT5 cable on the WRT54G from the "Internet" port
to one of the other ports.

I can see both ways and print from my Sony. Very cool.....Thank you