PDA + Bluetooth

Greetings,

I have Verizon Wireless with an LG VX 4400 phone. I've now decided I
need a PDA to synch with our corporate database via Companion Link.
Since my desktop machine has bluetooth, it makes sense to look for a
Bluetooth PDA for the synch. Near as I can tell, none of the PDA's have
Bluetooth yet. Is anyone aware of any coming in the near future? I'm
inclined to stay with Verizon, but do have some flexibility.

Thanks,

Kevin
10 answers Last reply
More about bluetooth

    "Kevin Mayer" <kmayer@spamnomorebearcreeknet.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have Verizon Wireless with an LG VX 4400 phone. I've now decided I
    > need a PDA to synch with our corporate database via Companion Link.
    > Since my desktop machine has bluetooth, it makes sense to look for a
    > Bluetooth PDA for the synch. Near as I can tell, none of the PDA's have
    > Bluetooth yet. Is anyone aware of any coming in the near future? I'm
    > inclined to stay with Verizon, but do have some flexibility.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kevin

    You may want to consider getting a real PDA (rather than verizons
    smartphones) and a cable to a verizon cellphone. By not trying to get
    everything in one package, you can get the best of each and make em work
    together. I have the HP ipaq that has both Bluetooth and Wifi built in, an
    SDIO network card that lets me plug into Ethernet networks, and a cable that
    tethers it to my phone when out and about (tri mode for voice, although only
    digital works for data). The New every 2 isn't gonna make much of a dent in
    the super high prices verizon charges (max $100 off on a price that is
    usually $100 more anyway), why not use the discount only on a phone, and get
    a much cheaper PDA elsewhere? You also get the additional benefit of having
    separate devices, if your phone or PDA dies and goes in for service, you
    aren't without the other.

    PS, they make cables that go from many PDA's to your existing VX 4400 phone.

    Right now there aren't a lot of choices for combined phone/pda's with BT.
    The MPX-220 and Treo Ace are supposed to provide this in the near future.
    But, there are also a lot of upsides to current phone/pda devices without
    BT. None that I know of present any problem at all with using the pda while
    on a call. In fact, most have speaker phones, and at worst you ask the other
    party to hold for second. Smartphones today are rapidly approaching PC level
    functionality. In fact, with my Treo 600, I only rarely carry my laptop on
    business trips any more since I am able to manage email and most web-based
    needs directly from my single handheld... anywhere!. If you have never tried
    this option you owe it to your self to do so. You may find like me, that
    there is far more benefits than disadvantages when you are "converged".

    Kevin Mayer wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have Verizon Wireless with an LG VX 4400 phone. I've now decided I
    > need a PDA to synch with our corporate database via Companion Link.
    > Since my desktop machine has bluetooth, it makes sense to look for a
    > Bluetooth PDA for the synch. Near as I can tell, none of the PDA's
    > have Bluetooth yet. Is anyone aware of any coming in the near
    > future? I'm inclined to stay with Verizon, but do have some
    > flexibility.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kevin
    There are many PDAs that have Bluetooth, but I assume you're looking
    for a Smartphone (PDA-phone combination). In that case, you might
    want to wait for the Treo 610, which is rumored to have Bluetooth and
    a Hi-Res screen.

    "Kevin Mayer" <kmayer@spamnomorebearcreeknet.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have Verizon Wireless with an LG VX 4400 phone. I've now decided I
    > need a PDA to synch with our corporate database via Companion Link.
    > Since my desktop machine has bluetooth, it makes sense to look for a
    > Bluetooth PDA for the synch. Near as I can tell, none of the PDA's have
    > Bluetooth yet. Is anyone aware of any coming in the near future? I'm
    > inclined to stay with Verizon, but do have some flexibility.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kevin

    The new Motorola 710 has Bluetooth. I've read mixed reviews on it. I
    think it retails for $520. It's just now in the radio shack stores and I
    believe the Verizon stores should be getting it in by the end of next week.

    As an alternative, you may consider getting a separate PDA w/ Bluetooth.
    I'm currently using an HP 1945 that is an excellent device. It has
    Bluetooth, although I don't currently use that feature. Hope this helps.

    Ooops... didn't see P. Pan's reply. Yeah, I pretty much reached similar
    conclusions as you did, Peter. And you explained the separate PDA option
    much better than I. Another thing is if you are on your cell phone and
    want to check your PDA at the same time for scheduling or whatever, it's
    hard to do when you have the device next to your head.

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Kevin Mayer" <kmayer@spamnomorebearcreeknet.com> wrote in message
    > > Greetings,
    > >
    > > I have Verizon Wireless with an LG VX 4400 phone. I've now decided I
    > > need a PDA to synch with our corporate database via Companion Link.
    > > Since my desktop machine has bluetooth, it makes sense to look for a
    > > Bluetooth PDA for the synch. Near as I can tell, none of the PDA's have
    > > Bluetooth yet. Is anyone aware of any coming in the near future? I'm
    > > inclined to stay with Verizon, but do have some flexibility.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Kevin
    >
    > You may want to consider getting a real PDA (rather than verizons
    > smartphones) and a cable to a verizon cellphone. By not trying to get
    > everything in one package, you can get the best of each and make em work
    > together. I have the HP ipaq that has both Bluetooth and Wifi built in, an
    > SDIO network card that lets me plug into Ethernet networks, and a cable
    that
    > tethers it to my phone when out and about (tri mode for voice, although
    only
    > digital works for data). The New every 2 isn't gonna make much of a dent
    in
    > the super high prices verizon charges (max $100 off on a price that is
    > usually $100 more anyway), why not use the discount only on a phone, and
    get
    > a much cheaper PDA elsewhere? You also get the additional benefit of
    having
    > separate devices, if your phone or PDA dies and goes in for service, you
    > aren't without the other.
    >
    > PS, they make cables that go from many PDA's to your existing VX 4400
    phone.

    Someone should point out that what you say doesn't really argue
    against the separate-phone-and-pda scheme. If you have a bluetooth
    palm and a separate bluetooth phone, say, you can still travel
    without a laptop and do all the email/internet stuff. The palm
    simply cannects to the internet via the BT phone. (Or connect
    the two devices with a wire instead of BT.)

    "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote in message news:<xoidnbkZTJTWLovcRVn-rQ@comcast.com>...
    > Smartphones today are rapidly approaching PC level
    > functionality. In fact, with my Treo 600, I only rarely carry my laptop on
    > business trips any more since I am able to manage email and most web-based
    > needs directly from my single handheld... anywhere!.

    Very true, but a single converged device is a much more efficient solution
    that sacrifices very little in comparison.

    "Brian Cole" <bassclar@world.oberlin.edu> wrote in message
    > Someone should point out that what you say doesn't really argue
    > against the separate-phone-and-pda scheme. If you have a bluetooth
    > palm and a separate bluetooth phone, say, you can still travel
    > without a laptop and do all the email/internet stuff. The palm
    > simply cannects to the internet via the BT phone. (Or connect
    > the two devices with a wire instead of BT.)
    >
    > "dg" <dg@isp.net> wrote in message
    > > Smartphones today are rapidly approaching PC
    level
    > > functionality. In fact, with my Treo 600, I only rarely carry my laptop
    on
    > > business trips any more since I am able to manage email and most
    web-based
    > > needs directly from my single handheld... anywhere!.

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 11:47:01 -0700, Kevin Mayer
    <kmayer@spamnomorebearcreeknet.com> wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >I have Verizon Wireless with an LG VX 4400 phone. I've now decided I
    >need a PDA to synch with our corporate database via Companion Link.
    >Since my desktop machine has bluetooth, it makes sense to look for a
    >Bluetooth PDA for the synch. Near as I can tell, none of the PDA's have
    >Bluetooth yet. Is anyone aware of any coming in the near future? I'm
    >inclined to stay with Verizon, but do have some flexibility.
    Visit www.pdaphone.com for a revelation - bluetooth devices can be
    'bluejacked' and 'bluesnarfed' at over a kilometer away. Suggest you
    consider the security implications of adopting a protocol with weak
    security.
    --
    John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
    This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

    In article <MPG.1b8014ea8f0e298e989680@news.iinet.com>,
    kmayer@spamnomorebearcreeknet.com says...

    Wow, what great input from all of you. You've given me much to think
    about. Clearly advantages and disadvantages to combining both phone and
    PDA. I sure do like the thought of carying one device for phone and PDA,
    but I don't like the idea of being tied to the phones lifecycle. I would
    think a good PDA would be current and useful for at least 3 years, and
    phones seem to get outdated after about 1.5 years. I'm guessing the
    quality of the phone in the new Treo 610 will not be as good as whatever
    the top of the line LG etc. phone is of the time. Agree?

    Kevin

    > In article <MPG.1b8014ea8f0e298e989680@news.iinet.com>,
    > kmayer@spamnomorebearcreeknet.com says...
    >
    > Wow, what great input from all of you. You've given me much to think
    > about. Clearly advantages and disadvantages to combining both phone and
    > PDA. I sure do like the thought of carying one device for phone and PDA,
    > but I don't like the idea of being tied to the phones lifecycle. I would
    > think a good PDA would be current and useful for at least 3 years, and
    > phones seem to get outdated after about 1.5 years. I'm guessing the
    > quality of the phone in the new Treo 610 will not be as good as whatever
    > the top of the line LG etc. phone is of the time. Agree?
    >
    > Kevin

    The other thing I didnt mention was I have a Jabra freespeak cordless
    headset (totally handsfree, phone in pocket, PDA in hand). I have the model
    for non bluetooth phones, works with most devices with a 2.5 MM jack (at
    work I plug it into my cordless phone, any of the display model phones <we
    are a verizon dealer and have lots of display phones, almost all with
    headset jacks>, or my computers sound card to use VOIP, or into the voice
    jack on my Thera <PDA+Cellphone combo>). For more info (and some really cool
    pix) FreeSpeakT BT200 for Non-Bluetooth Phones at
    http://www.jabra.com/products/FreeSpeak_nonBluetooth.htm (they make one with
    cords too, but the cordless headset is really cool). If you go that route,
    look into self-stick velcro squares. I have em on the
    phones/walls/briefcase/car dash/etc.

Verizon PDA Bluetooth Internet Service Providers