RussG

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2004
for getting xp pro to boot on an older system? 98 and xphome will boot off of a setup cd, but pro will not.

RussG

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2004
just the thing i was looking for. :)

working on a friends older laptop and it will not boot an xp pro cd, but home/98 will boot. problem is, I only have an extra license for pro. bootdisk.com did the trick though.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
It's an older laptop, but it WILL boot from CD, right? Okay. Your move is to boot to a command line (let us know if you don't know how), then switch to the CD drive. Then enter 'setup' (without quotes) on the command line and hit enter. That should get you going.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
That won't work for xp, the xp setup need to be run in a 32bit environment. That only worked on ME and earlier.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Oops! Yeah, you're right. I try to forget about anything but XP, but you guys keep bringing them up :(.

Anyway, boot into 98x/ME, then open the Run dialog and try inputting the command line from there- (insert drive letter here):\setup
and hit enter.

I might have said to try from inside Explorer, but it would be better to bypass that.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>