Which motherboard

rlm

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Yep, It's time for another annoying post.

I’ve finally come to the point where I want to upgrade my old 1.4 AMD Thunderbird to something faster than a milk float, the release of socket 939 seems to have answered my prayers because I can finally use unregistered memory with the FX-53 that I want to buy. I want t o get a board with the Nforce3 Ultra chipset and so it seems I have 2 choices, the Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP-939 and the MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum
Just a couple of questions though on these boards that need answering before I can make a decision:

Will both of these boards have enough space for a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu, I had read on other sites that the Gigabyte has problems because of component placing.

Do both boards use Nvidia’s OnChip LAN controller? And have the built in firewall options?

I would also like to know peoples opinions of both of these boards and which one they think I should buy, I was immediately drawn to the MSI but then the Gigabyte turned up on ocuk. Maybe I’m a sucker but I thought that there must be a reason for the Gigabyte costing £30 more than the MSI (I know about the 2 firewire B ports).

Also there is the small matter of overclocking, I just want to use aircooling but want to get at least another 200mhz out of the FX-53, hope this is possible. Also I'm a OCZ fan and was looking at the 3500 or 3700EB memory sticks, which one would people recommend?

Cheers.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Do you have access to the Asus A8V Deluxe socket 939 board? I just built a rig with similar specs to your desires and this board was/is amazing.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

reactin6

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
hi, im finally gonna update my system from an amd xp 2100 to an amd 64 bits 3000+, but i havent decided yet wich mobo to choose, i dont know whats the best chipset for me, via or nvidia, or whats better, the msi k8t neo with nvidia or via.

plz help me out in this one!

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
The K8T Neo uses the via chipset. The K8N Neo uses the Nforce. Get the Nforce. It's a stable chipset (based on earlier nforce 150, so bugs have been worked out), and it has less memory problems.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl