2x256 = 512 or 256?

Shuffle

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001
Sorry for my less knowledge but i wonder if i buy 2x 256mb memory and put it into double chanel motherboard, will it count as 512mb or still 256mb? If its count as 256 how 2x256 performance against single 512? Which one better? Im planning to use abit IS7-E mobo. But if using single memory 512mb is better then maybe i go with chipset 848P mobo which much cheaper but doesnt support double channel memory cause im not planning to buy 2x512 memory. I want to using it with Pentium 2.4c. Use it for aplication like 3d max (which had recommended memory 512mb) and playing some games. And i hear many recommend for abit IS7 but how about IS7-E. Is it any good? Is there better mobo around that price that is better than IS7-E?
Thank You...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
2x256=512. 2 256MB modules in dual channel is 512MB. In actuallity, 2 256MB modules with a 64-bit connection, in dual channel, make one 512MB "module" with a 128-bit connection. It's like having 2 buckets of water on 2 faucets instead of 1 bucket of water on 1 faucet, when they're both full you still have 2 buckets of water.

I recommend the IS7 over the IS7-E because it has more features, but both are good boards (and the price difference is very small).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Shuffle

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks. So go with 2x256 will be better choise. Price different between IS7 and IS7-E is around $25 here so maybe i just go with IS7-E. My new problem is i cant found P4 2.4c. At shop only available P4 2.4a which form what i read in procesor faq, it is one of procesor to avoid (prescott 'A'). How bad its performance? cause price different between P4 2.4 and 2.6c is too much.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If price is "too much" for you (and money is tight) then get an AMD system and don't bother with Pentium, you'll save more money and get more performance.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you really want to go Intel, look for an "old" P4 2.4C. These have been out of production for a while, but are better performers than the 2.4A (either version). They WILL be hard to find, but MIGHT be priced comparably.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>