Spyware out of nowhere

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
I was doing Peer to Peer on Window XP and decided to take my router off. There are two software that are protecting me, ZoneAlarm and Symantec antivirus. Out of the blue, my ZoneAlarm detected 5 different services requesting permission to sent my information to God know who. I decided to deny them and as persistence spyware, it keep asking and I have to configure ZoneAlarm to automatic deny the service. I try to end their service by ending process in the Window Task Manager, but the service keep coming back. I end up installing Ad-aware to remove Spyware/Adware. It did remove certain registry and files, but not all. I also have to go to the add/remove program to remove some of them. Finally, I have to manually delete the folder in my program directory. It so easy getting them, but so hard to get rid of them.
Is it legal for Spyware/Adware program to enter you system without your permission? I don't recall giving them permission to be install into my computer. I wish the people that create Spyware/Adware would just disappear and take their junk with them.
It is important to have hardware firewall such as router and combine them with software firewall. The router in this case would be better as it has better protection. Anyway, curse those Spyware/Adware maker.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
A router/firewall is not going to prevent spyware from getting on your computer. It is loaded on when you visit certain websites or install spyware ridden software such as most p2p software.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
I think the router does help prevent spyware and adware. A hardware firewall should be better than software firewall. I been using peer to peer but behind the router. I rarely have to connect the internet connection directly into my computer. This is the first time I received spyware/adware for connecting the internet directly into my computer. All the other time, it was behind a router firewall and never receive spyware/adware.
If fact, the spyware/adware even change my Home Page on Internet Explorer. It change to a website with the search engine and of course advertisement. When I typed www.yahoo.com it would despise yahoo.com and change back to its website. I was able to go to MSN or use MSN search engine fine. I figure it would hate MSN too, since it deal with Microsoft, but it do not hate MSN.
Lavasofe Ad-ware did not take care of this issue. I have to download another program called Xoftspy. This progam does a great job elimination those unwanted pest. I did have to log in on Safe Mode. Go into as Administration, then run Xoftspy and magically, all the demons have been put to sleep. Xoftspy did found the loader which act like a trojan virus. If the loader is not deleted then all nasty things will be right back after a system reboot.

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
Routers really don't help protect against spyware/adware. The router will make you invisible to anyone doing random pings looking for an open pc to mess with. The AWSW (adware/spyware) gets in under cover of web site you have gone to. This is where something like Zonealarm comes in. Along with blocking unwanted entry if you do not have a router, it blocks unauthorized outgoing info that a trojan or spyware may try to send out.
You do need good AWSW cleaners and run them often. Spybot and Ad-aware are great - and free. For around $30 you can get SpySweeper. GREAT program. I have seen it find things the other two programs did not find. It also runs in the background and does a good job of stopping this s*** before it roots itself in your machine. Another good program is Winpatrol. This watchs for any unauthorized attempts to make changes to IE, Windows start-up files, etc.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek:

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Spend a few minutes reading this <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=48156#48156" target="_new">thread</A> ... just a few below you now ...

BTW - the free version of Ad-Aware won't block spyware - just removes most of it ... and AV prgms don't address spyware at all. Add Spybot S&D and the javacool prgms ... pay for some if you'd like - but I haven't, and have had no spyware in 6 months + ...

<b> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol - W.C. Fields </b>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Yes, it was a target for spyware and adware. By taking the router off, I was an attractive magnet.

I don’t know how you can say that if you had ZoneAlarm. That’s like saying anyone with just ZoneAlarm is a target. I shot in the dark. I’m guessing as soon as you decided to disconnect your router ZoneAlarm notice a different approach to the internet. Anyway you had the option at that time to investigate further to see what was trying to get in/out. Also, how do you know this spyware wasn’t already there or at least part of it. Can you honesty say you scanned recently and had no problems. Spyware can be added so easy, just by going to the wrong page and getting hijack or what not, but for the most part I think one is safe with ZoneAlarm and a pop up blocker and the only time I notice a problem was when I would try a free program and spyware came with it or I didn’t bother reading all the crap and just click away and then found spyware. The next best defense is knowing how to get rid of it, which it sounds like you do.