Problems with new computer!

00obrimw

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2003
I have just built a new computer for my dad and everything seemed to be going fine until I started installing windows. When installing files i sometimes got critical errors and the occasional blue screen of death. After restarting many times during one go of an install it actually managed to finish but windows is very unstable and whenever i try to access something from the cd drive windows locks up. Ive tried installing windows using a different cd drive, using a different cd of windows and im starting to run out of ideas. One thing I'm slightly suspicious about is that the motherboard (Albatron KM18G Pro) doesnt support ddr400 ram when using the onboard video so I've underclocked my kingmax ddr400 to ddr333. Whether it's worth putting in a video card and running the ram at full speed I'm not sure. I'm trying another install right now but any ideas would be much appreciated.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Albatron KM18G Pro (nForce 2, onboard vga)
512MB Kingmax ddr400
Western Digital WD800JB
BTC 52 speed cd writer
Enermax 350W PSU

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could have bad RAM. Underclocking actually INCREASES stability, but can't always make up for defective parts. Try running Memtest86 to find out for certain.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

00obrimw

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2003
I did an install with ram at 400mhz and it did seem more stable, it appeared to install windows without a glitch but after installing drivers etc for 10mins the same crazy pixels came back and then a few minutes later the blue screen of death. Ive been running memtest for the last hour and a half and it hasnt bought back any errors though its only 77% complete.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, it could be a power supply problem, but that's not likely. Take a look in BIOS hardware monitor when you get a chance and check your voltages and temperatures there.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

00obrimw

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2003
Well I switched the ram with 2 sticks of ddr333 I had in my other computer and both are running fine so im not 100% what the actual problem was but now everything is fine.

Thanks for your help

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I remember some boards had messed up BIOS and didn't work with DDR400 because the BIOS would screw up the timings and stuff.