hp pavilion a305w shuts off itself

My hp pavilion a305w shuts itself off unexpectedly.

It happened once and a while earlier, but is happenning often now.
When it does it, I can still hear the power supply, but the light on
the on button goes off (it is usually always on). I tend to believe it
is heat related, but the cpu fan is always on, so I do not know what
else to check. I have AVG updated every week, and it runs every night,
and I do not think the problem is a virus.

I have to press the button for a while until it turns completely off
(no noise) and then I press it again to restart it. I have Windows XP,
and it always reboots and works OK.

What advice does anyone have?

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

You can check the fans speed and cpu temperatures from the BIOS.

Press F1 during boot to go into setup and look around for the hardware
monitor page (bottom of advanced).

On my system, the Temp is 39C and the fan speed in 4300.

Let the system sit on the page for a while and see what you get.

As Ben says, dust can be a problem.

craigm

<efriendsinbox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My hp pavilion a305w shuts itself off unexpectedly.
>
> It happened once and a while earlier, but is happenning often now.
> When it does it, I can still hear the power supply, but the light on
> the on button goes off (it is usually always on). I tend to believe it
> is heat related, but the cpu fan is always on, so I do not know what
> else to check. I have AVG updated every week, and it runs every night,
> and I do not think the problem is a virus.
>
> I have to press the button for a while until it turns completely off
> (no noise) and then I press it again to restart it. I have Windows XP,
> and it always reboots and works OK.
>
> What advice does anyone have?

Also, did you open up the chassis and look for dust bunnies? Blow out all the
dust, especially from rotating fans, with a can of compressed air from Wal*Mart.
Do you smoke? Do you have furry pets? Anything else in the air that can clog
up a computer and prevent it from cooling properly? ... Ben Myers

On 11 Dec 2004 16:50:56 -0800, efriendsinbox@hotmail.com wrote:

>My hp pavilion a305w shuts itself off unexpectedly.
>
>It happened once and a while earlier, but is happenning often now.
>When it does it, I can still hear the power supply, but the light on
>the on button goes off (it is usually always on). I tend to believe it
>is heat related, but the cpu fan is always on, so I do not know what
>else to check. I have AVG updated every week, and it runs every night,
>and I do not think the problem is a virus.
>
>I have to press the button for a while until it turns completely off
>(no noise) and then I press it again to restart it. I have Windows XP,
>and it always reboots and works OK.
>
>What advice does anyone have?

Failing power supply? Overheating? Dust and dirt preventing the ventilating
fans from doing a good job? Failing motherboard?

According to the HP website the a305w is the "Wal*Mart 2003 Holiday Bundle", and
it has a one-year warranty. My advice is to call HP before the year is up to be
eligible for replacement of some parts still under warranty.

Or maybe it's time to shop Wal*Mart again? After all, it's been almost a year,
and we all have to do our parts and shop, shop, shop, to keep the US economy out
of the dumpster... Ben Myers