Transparent Bridge?

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004

Hi all

Looking to get some bridges. What do you recommend for true bridges?
Want to be able to bridge many MAC addys.

thanks in advance

tod

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:55:35 -0700, OldGuy <todh@yesterdayspc.com>
wrote:

>Looking to get some bridges. What do you recommend for true bridges?
>Want to be able to bridge many MAC addys.

You should know better than to leave out ALL the details. Please fill
the vacuum.

How far do you wanna go?
How fast do you want move data?
What level of reliability? (99.999%)
How many MAC addresses total (sum of all machinery on both sides)?
How much do you wanna spend?
Point to point or point to multipoint?
Tower mounted radios (on back of antennas) or stand alone?
Do you need spanning tree algorithm, and VLAN support?
Do you need a managed bridge (with SNMP)?
Do you need unlicensed (2.4, 5.6 or 24Ghz) or licensed (23 or 39GHz).
What type of power is gonna run these? Solar? Backup?
Any environmental issues such as rain, fog, or citizens committees?

Before you supply a suitable retort, kindly look at:
http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/lanbridges/
http://www.ydi.com/products/bridges/index.php
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps5279/index.html
and see if anything looks vaguely like what you vaguely described.

Here's one bridge I wouldn't mind selling (or owning).
http://www.proxim.com/learn/library/datasheets/Tsunami_gig.pdf
430Mbits/sec full duplex (870Mbits/sec aggregate) thruput. Only
$41,274 each, list price or about $35,000 each street price. Duz not
include anntennas or optinal AC power supply.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004

Yea Yea, thought about it and knew that I would get caught with ya'll
wanting more information.

Here is the tenative setup.

Backbone - 6Meg
AP = Proxim 4000

Need info for CPE - some customer have multiple machines with the most
being 54 various boxes. Most distance is under 1/4 mile, all have line
of sight; some need antenna mast to view our antenna. Figure that I
should be able to handle 140 to 200 computers for normal business
surfers. The AP-4000 will connect to 64 at a time, have to go to
another AP for more than that ( Tunsumi? )

tod

In article <WdSdnQYLSYX1kvbcRVn-pg@speakeasy.net>,
OldGuy <todh@yesterdayspc.com> wrote:
:Looking to get some bridges. What do you recommend for true bridges?
:Want to be able to bridge many MAC addys.

How many is 'many'? 25? 50? 100? 250? 1000? 2000? more?
Does a/b/g make any difference to you?

--
Ceci, ce n'est pas une idée.