Selecting the right hardware....

Firefox7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004
Hi All....

I'm new too this forum so HI....anyway I have to upgrade my PC shortly...But i do not no if i need to. I have a dual Athlon Tiger Tyan s2640 Mainboard with 2 x 1600 mp processors, and 2 gig ecc ram. This machine runs very good but my games are starting to suffer slightly. FarCry for example is real jerky even with my ge-force 4 128mb card. I do not no whether to buy a new card such as the geforce 6800 ultra...or upgrade the entire PC for future gaming. I think the max mp processor I can use with my board is a 1900 mp.......if It is better to upgrade what would you recommend....board type...what size processor, ram and video card. Or is their any solutions for the present hardware that I have now.

Thx in advance.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
GeForce4 128mb...
Which GeForce4??
about 1600mp..I'm not so sure if 1600mp is fast enough for that game, but I would upgrade to a better video card

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Firefox;

With dual CPU you have plenty of processing power, all you need to do is upgrade your graphics card, buy the fastest graphics card you can afford, this will solve the problem in farcry, because a ti4200 is about 1/4th the graphics card you need to run the game in high detail at 30+ FPS, with a 6800 Ultra or a X800XT you will get excellent frame rates even on high detail, if you have enough system memory as well, because System memory is also a consideration.
On High details the game requires over 512MB, and the game requires approximately 1GB of memory on Very High details. so if you dont have 1GB of memory dont even bother setting it on Very High because its not going to be playable. Read the recommended system requirements on the game box it says it all.

Latest posts