Roaming Charges for America's Choice

Last response: in Network Providers
August 9, 2004 1:55:44 AM

I am getting my first cell phone, and am confused about roaming. If I get
America's Choice family plan, I can call from anywhere on the red-colored
map to my home (or another Verizon customer) when I am travelling, and not
incur roaming charges?

Roaming charges are when I am not in Verizon network? I am not clear as to
when roaming charges kick in. On my computer, their map appears all one
shade of red, and it is a little confusing.

If someone could explain "roaming for dummies" I'd appreciate it.
August 9, 2004 6:04:14 AM

Buck Turgidson wrote:
> I am getting my first cell phone, and am confused about roaming. If I get
> America's Choice family plan, I can call from anywhere on the red-colored
> map to my home (or another Verizon customer) when I am travelling, and not
> incur roaming charges?
>
> Roaming charges are when I am not in Verizon network? I am not clear as to
> when roaming charges kick in. On my computer, their map appears all one
> shade of red, and it is a little confusing.
>
> If someone could explain "roaming for dummies" I'd appreciate it.

On the America's Choice plan - your home network is all the areas in the
US that are Red and dark pink. In these areas you will pay no roaming
charges and you can call anywhere in the US with no long distance
charges. If you are in a light pink area you will be roaming and pay 69
cents a minute. The white areas on the map are places where there is no
cellular service.

Your phone will display one of three things.
1) "Verizon Wireless" and there will be no triangle. This means you
are on a Verizon network, no roaming charges.
2) "Extended Network" and there will be a flashing triangle. This
means you are not on a Verizon network, but on a America's Choice
partner network, no roaming charges.
3) "Roamin" and there will be a steady triangle. This means you are
not on a Verizon or partner network, and will pay the 69 cent/min
roaming charge.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Rich
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 12:42:01 PM

If you let us know where you are, we can tell you how strong AC is in your
area.
It varies with more potential roaming in western states than in the east.

Also note that folks who live, work and travel only to major cities are
extremely unlikely to ever roam.

I only encounter roaming in rural/remote locations.

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

"Buck Turgidson" <jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am getting my first cell phone, and am confused about roaming. If I get
> America's Choice family plan, I can call from anywhere on the red-colored
> map to my home (or another Verizon customer) when I am travelling, and not
> incur roaming charges?
>
> Roaming charges are when I am not in Verizon network? I am not clear as
> when roaming charges kick in. On my computer, their map appears all one
> shade of red, and it is a little confusing.
>
> If someone could explain "roaming for dummies" I'd appreciate it.

Related resources
August 9, 2004 3:33:23 PM

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 02:04:14 GMT, Rich <mathwhiz@mathwhiz.org> wrote:

>Buck Turgidson wrote:
>> I am getting my first cell phone, and am confused about roaming. If I get
>> America's Choice family plan, I can call from anywhere on the red-colored
>> map to my home (or another Verizon customer) when I am travelling, and not
>> incur roaming charges?
>>
>> Roaming charges are when I am not in Verizon network? I am not clear as to
>> when roaming charges kick in. On my computer, their map appears all one
>> shade of red, and it is a little confusing.
>>
>> If someone could explain "roaming for dummies" I'd appreciate it.
>
>On the America's Choice plan - your home network is all the areas in the
>US that are Red and dark pink. In these areas you will pay no roaming
>charges and you can call anywhere in the US with no long distance
>charges. If you are in a light pink area you will be roaming and pay 69
>cents a minute. The white areas on the map are places where there is no
>cellular service.

Note the maps are not extremely accurate, you are billed based upon which
network you actually connect to, not where you happen to physically be at
the moment. Thus checking phone status is vital if in a marginal area.

>Your phone will display one of three things.
>1) "Verizon Wireless" and there will be no triangle. This means you
>are on a Verizon network, no roaming charges.
>2) "Extended Network" and there will be a flashing triangle. This
>means you are not on a Verizon network, but on a America's Choice
>partner network, no roaming charges.
>3) "Roamin" and there will be a steady triangle. This means you are
>not on a Verizon or partner network, and will pay the 69 cent/min
>roaming charge.

Note, some phones display status differently. Some of the same models
display differently depending upon firmware revision.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

August 9, 2004 4:18:26 PM

> If you let us know where you are, we can tell you how strong AC is in your
> area.
> It varies with more potential roaming in western states than in the east.
>
> Also note that folks who live, work and travel only to major cities are
> extremely unlikely to ever roam.
>
> I only encounter roaming in rural/remote locations.

I am in the DC area. One reason that VZ appeals to me is that it is the
only carrier that works underground in the Metro subway system.

If I am stuck in the tube due to a train problem, and late for a meeting, at
least I could call...
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 4:37:37 PM

> > If you let us know where you are, we can tell you how strong AC is in
your
> > area.
> > It varies with more potential roaming in western states than in the
east.

> > Also note that folks who live, work and travel only to major cities are
> > extremely unlikely to ever roam.
> >
> > I only encounter roaming in rural/remote locations.
> >

> I am in the DC area. One reason that VZ appeals to me is that it is the
> only carrier that works underground in the Metro subway system.
>
> If I am stuck in the tube due to a train problem, and late for a meeting,
at
> least I could call...

I used to live in Baltimore and commute to DC every day, had a cell set to
"Home Only" (so it wouldn't roam). Worked fine both in buildings and on the
train, and the one time my car died in a rural area (no "home" signal), I
just set it to "Home and Roam", made a call, and set it back.
August 9, 2004 4:52:16 PM

In article <mrkku1-b1e.ln1@hp.coleman.com>, Buck Turgidson
<jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am in the DC area. One reason that VZ appeals to me is that it is the
> only carrier that works underground in the Metro subway system.

Other carriers work if they can roam on the analog signal. I did that
when I had AT&T. I understand Sprint also roams in the Metro but I
don't know if it is on the analog or digital signal. That said Verizon
is the best choice if use on the Metro system is important. Verizon is
in my opinion the best choice "currently" for the DC area and the
Northeast if coverage is prime as opposed to price.

--
Charles
Anonymous

> Other carriers work if they can roam on the analog signal. I did that
> when I had AT&T. I understand Sprint also roams in the Metro but I
> don't know if it is on the analog or digital signal. That said Verizon
> is the best choice if use on the Metro system is important. Verizon is
> in my opinion the best choice "currently" for the DC area and the
> Northeast if coverage is prime as opposed to price.

I am looking at family plans (2 phones). The price between similar VZ and
Cingular family plans seem about the same, assuming that we'll rarely roam
with VZ. I've had friends comment that VZ is more expensive, but I don't
see much difference in the plan I mentioned.

As I see it, it comes down to a decision between whether we get rollover
minutes (Cingular), or subway access (VZ).

Cingular's coverage seems reasonably comparable. I guess it would get
better with the A T & T merger? Cingular also seems like it might be a
little easier to use internationally (Europe, anyway), than VZ.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 5:13:15 PM

Buck Turgidson wrote:
>> Other carriers work if they can roam on the analog signal. I did that
>> when I had AT&T. I understand Sprint also roams in the Metro but I
>> don't know if it is on the analog or digital signal. That said
>> Verizon is the best choice if use on the Metro system is important.
>> Verizon is in my opinion the best choice "currently" for the DC area
>> and the Northeast if coverage is prime as opposed to price.
>
> I am looking at family plans (2 phones). The price between similar
> VZ and Cingular family plans seem about the same, assuming that we'll
> rarely roam with VZ. I've had friends comment that VZ is more
> expensive, but I don't see much difference in the plan I mentioned.
>
> As I see it, it comes down to a decision between whether we get
> rollover minutes (Cingular), or subway access (VZ).
>
> Cingular's coverage seems reasonably comparable. I guess it would get
> better with the A T & T merger? Cingular also seems like it might be
> a little easier to use internationally (Europe, anyway), than VZ.

Why? The GSM frequency they use over here is different than the
one they use over there so you would have to use different equipment.
It would have to be a plan or service difference. I think I heard some
rumor about VZW carrying a quad mode phone (tri-mode plus Euro
GSM) but who knows when that will happen.

Humorous note: I just heard a Cingular promotion out here on the
other coast. Get Cingular and get free WalkAbouts (the walkie talkies).
First thing into my mind was "Why would I need a walkie talkie if I have
cell service?...". Yes, I have kids and I suspect I will soon own
walkabouts
but this struck me as rather funny.

-Quick
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 5:13:16 PM

In article <1092072301.34066@sj-nntpcache-5>,
"Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> umorous note: I just heard a Cingular promotion out here on the
> other coast. Get Cingular and get free WalkAbouts (the walkie
> talkies). First thing into my mind was "Why would I need a walkie
> talkie if I have cell service?...".

When we were at MacWorld Expo in San Francisco in January, we used our
walkabouts; poor reception underground. When we drove with two cars
between California and Phoenix, we used walkabouts--easier to just press
a button and talk than to have to call and answer (even with voice
dialing and auto answer)--plus there were spots where there wasn't any
cell coverage. And it preserved prime-time minutes (we do not have free
cell-to-cell minutes in our plans).

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous

> Why? The GSM frequency they use over here is different than the
> one they use over there so you would have to use different equipment.
> It would have to be a plan or service difference. I think I heard some
> rumor about VZW carrying a quad mode phone (tri-mode plus Euro
> GSM) but who knows when that will happen.
>
> Humorous note: I just heard a Cingular promotion out here on the
> other coast. Get Cingular and get free WalkAbouts (the walkie talkies).
> First thing into my mind was "Why would I need a walkie talkie if I have
> cell service?...". Yes, I have kids and I suspect I will soon own
> walkabouts
> but this struck me as rather funny.

Kinda like giving bicycles away with a car purchase. I didn't realize that
Euro GSM was different. Thanks for the tip.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 5:31:59 PM

Quick <quick7135-news@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

>> Cingular's coverage seems reasonably comparable. I guess it would get
>> better with the A T & T merger? Cingular also seems like it might be
>> a little easier to use internationally (Europe, anyway), than VZ.
>
> Why? The GSM frequency they use over here is different than the
> one they use over there

There are plenty of GSM world phones that do US *and* European frequencies.

August 9, 2004 5:32:00 PM

Steven J Sobol wrote:
> Quick <quick7135-news@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Cingular's coverage seems reasonably comparable. I guess it would
>>> get better with the A T & T merger? Cingular also seems like it
>>> might be a little easier to use internationally (Europe, anyway),
>>> than VZ.
>>
>> Why? The GSM frequency they use over here is different than the
>> one they use over there
>
> There are plenty of GSM world phones that do US *and* European
> frequencies.

Offered by Cingular? (the equipment subsidy is a factor for many).

-Quick
August 9, 2004 5:52:34 PM

In article <munku1-pbe.ln1@hp.coleman.com>, Buck Turgidson
<jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Cingular's coverage seems reasonably comparable. I guess it would get
> better with the A T & T merger? Cingular also seems like it might be a
> little easier to use internationally (Europe, anyway), than VZ.

I have found currently Verizon has better coverage. Plus I use the
Metro every day to and from work and there have unfortunatly been more
and more delays in the last year. Verizon has also wired the railroad
tunnels going into Manhatten. I am on the train a lot. I have no
customer loyalty though to any particular wireless company. I switched
to Verizon from AT&T because of the existing coverage a year and a half
ago. If in the future another carrier like Cingular or one of the
others passes ahead of Verizon then I would consider switching again.
Who knows what will happen for sure after the AT&T merger? On cell
phones I don't take a long term approach---I pick what works best now,
particularly since you can now take your phone number with you if
another company becomes the best in a year.

--
Charles
Anonymous

> I have found currently Verizon has better coverage. Plus I use the
> Metro every day to and from work and there have unfortunatly been more
> and more delays in the last year.

Yes, and I am just waiting to hear that al Qaeda has targeted subway
systems, too. Another reason for wanting Verizon...
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 9:18:37 PM

Quick <quick7135-news@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

>> There are plenty of GSM world phones that do US *and* European
>> frequencies.
>
> Offered by Cingular? (the equipment subsidy is a factor for many).

Amazingly enough, the only ones I found in my ZIP code were the Treo 600,
and the Nokia 3100 which is specifically labeled as a World Phone. So,
I guess "plenty" is a bad term to use when talking specifically about Cingular.

August 10, 2004 9:24:56 AM

Buck Turgidson wrote:

>>I have found currently Verizon has better coverage. Plus I use the
>>Metro every day to and from work and there have unfortunatly been more
>>and more delays in the last year.
>

> Yes, and I am just waiting to hear that al Qaeda has targeted subway
> systems, too. Another reason for wanting Verizon...

So you can call your relatives and sit on the train with your thumb up
your ass?

If the folks on the planes would have been THROWING their cellphones
rather than DIALING them, they and many others might be alive today..

All you need is a cellphone, laptop battery, etc, and a tube sock and
you have one hell of a weapon, with more reach than a cheap utility knife...

JS
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 1:24:00 PM

"Buck Turgidson" <jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e0pku1-sfe.ln1@hp.coleman.com>...
> Kinda like giving bicycles away with a car purchase. I didn't realize that
> Euro GSM was different. Thanks for the tip.

Didn't VW do that some years ago with the Trek Jetta?
!