DDR2/PCI Express on AMD??

Maybe I am just dumb or just have not read the right artical, but I am guessing that Intel has the rights to DDR2 and PCI Express because I have not heard anything about AMD using them. Am I right, am I slow?? I dont know. Is AMD just waiting for something? I just dont know. So if anyone here knows whats going on, could you let me in on the seccret?

2600+ 266 FSB
A7N8X-E Deluxe
768 DDR PC2700
ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO SERIES
Maxtor 120 gig 8MB cach 7200
Western Digital 60 gig 8MB cach
Liton DVDRW +/- 4xrw/8xr/16x
7 answers Last reply
More about ddr2 express
  1. No, Intel don't have rights for DDR2 or PCI-EXPRESS.

AMD chipset that supports PCI-EXPRESS will be out by the end of the year. And AMD do not need the "extra" bandwidth of DDR2, the AMD64 architeture with on-die memory controller is very effective with the actuel DDR400 ram. AMD may even skip DDR2 and only supports DDR3, who knows! It's just a guess.

I don't see any problem with AMD not supporting DDR2. But PCI-EXPRESS is more annoying, if you really want to buyan AMD64 with PCI-EXPRESS support you wil have to wait a couple of months!

--
    Asus A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> (tbred @ 167x12)
    Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
    <font color=red>Built by ATI Radeon 8500LE 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290
  2. Thanks much! That answers my question. My brother wants me to start building him a gaming system. He is giving me about $3000 to build it and he wants all the toys. I read about the dual Nvid cards with the PCIe. But could only find intel boards that had it. Thats where the question stemed. Thanks again.

2600+ 266 FSB
    A7N8X-E Deluxe
    768 DDR PC2700
  3. In fact, even Intel board don't support DUAL PCI-EXPRESS. This setup will requirea motherboard with 2 PCI-EXPRESS 16x slot. Actually, there is no MB on the market with this, they will come later this year. nForce4 will support it (of course, it's nVidia). I don't know about Intel chipset support for this feature. There is good chance that VIA and SiS will support it too, because if they don't, they might loose market share in mid/high-end market.

VIA is currently working on a true AGP + PCI-EXPRESS solution, this might a good solution for people who don't want to change their high-end AGP card for a PCI-EXPRESS card right now (see owner of actual AGP X800/6800/9800/5950).

--
    Asus A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> (tbred @ 167x12)
    <font color=red>Built by ATI Radeon 8500LE 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290
  4. Yeah, I knew that there wasnt a board that supported it yet. I knew he would have to wait for atleast a few months. I just didnt see any AMD boards supporting PCIe, so I was confussed. I will be realy fun to build a system when 1. its not your money. 2. He as a lot and wants all the toys he can.

2600+ 266 FSB
    A7N8X-E Deluxe
    768 DDR PC2700
  5. Imagine if you had that much money for your OWN system! This would be funnier!

But since money is no object, build him today an Athlon 64 (Socket939) system today with an AGP8x GeForce 6800GT. And if in 1 or 2 year he needs more, he will probably only have to swap the MB and GPU.

--
  6. My system does me fine for now. He has a decent lap top that does its job. p4 512mb ect... He just wants a screaming system for when he comes home off the road. He wont be back untill september or october at the earlyest. so i have a couple months to play. What I want to wait for is a AMD 64 board with a better chip set. I have had problems with via before.

2600+ 266 FSB
    A7N8X-E Deluxe
    768 DDR PC2700
  7. PCI standards are controlled by the PCI group (I think it's called PCISIG or something), not Intel, but any company (including Intel) can submit ideas for consideration. SDRAM is controlled by another technology group called JEDEC, and Intel developed some DDR2 technology but submitted that to JEDEC for distribution. So they don't own either, even if they put development money into them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards DDR2 AMD PCI Express