Help on highend system

uma

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
Hello, I am buying a new computer, it was long time since I was updated on the latest tech stuff, and so much has happened since then. I would highly appriciate, if you guys could help me on a setup for a new computer system.

I am going to use it for games, doom3, HL2 ... and for 3d graphics, Maya ... Money is not a big issue, but I don't want to spend 50% money on the last 10% perfomance gain. I have no plans of overclocking. I want a Geforce 6800 ultra, if you guys believe that's a good choice. I have a monitor allready. I have tried to search this website and forum for highend tests on barbone systems (they are so cute) but without sucess. Is it possible to stick a Geforce 6800 ultra in any barebone?? And I need around 2gigs of ram.

If you guys could help me out on this one, I would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance
Niklas

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Uma;

Unfortunately you have come back durring a time when Intel is going through a technology transition period, meaning they are trying out a new manufacturing process, at 0.09 micron, with the prescott, this CPU is mostly an interim CPU, while they are designing their next pentium, the "55" as i like to call it, so at this time i wouldnt recommend going with Intel.

If you are dead set on going with an intel system get a Dual Xeon with the new 800FSB along with their new dual channel DDR-800FSB version server chipset, its going to be a real scorcher, if you like the idea of dual Xeon, i highly recommend this new server chipset, if its anything like its older brother the Granite Bay, you cant go wrong with this one.

If you dont want a dual Xeon machine then you will have to either buy an AMD, or wait untill October when intel releases their next Flagship CPU, anything but a prescott heh.

So thats pretty much the latest.

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
What would he/she use the Xeons for? They're meant for servers. As far as I know, they're not really compatible for gameing and such that good highend systems are lieky used for.

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

uma

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
Thanks for your fast response XeenRecoil,
I really am interested in buying a computer now, so I think I will not wait for the "55" series. I think your dual xeon solution would be great for 3d, but I leaning more towards the amd approach. I am really keen on getting my hands on a barebone system, but I guess I am going to have trouble getting a highend machine in a barebone system?! Does anyone know, if there is a barebone system where I can plug a fancy 64 bit amd cpu, and a Geforce 6800 Ultra? What do you guys think of pci express? I have seen that some barebones support pci express, Do you think one could stick a 6800 in one of those? Does anyone know when the 6800 ultra pci express are due? and will it be worth the perfomance gain? According to an articel on site, the 6800 ultra is a sucker on power consumtion. I guess there is no barebone with a 480 watt PSU, and I aslo said it could be problematic to find a power supply with enough ATX power cables..

Thanks
Niklas