Heres my configuration:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7N400-L1
CPU: AMD Athlon 2500+
Memory: Corsair CMX512-3200C2
I built another computer last week for a friend, but the RAM we bought was faulty so but I had to test every component on my computer to make sure it was the RAM. This including checking the CPU. When I put my system back together I must have done something wrong cuz basically the CPU overheated (to around 85C) before my system shut off automatically.
I then sorted the wiring problem out and switched it back on, unfortuantely ever since then it has been operating at 65C normally, and 78C on load. However having had the case side off I decided to do a rather risky thing and touch the heatsink when the computer is switched on. The heatsink temperature is probably 30-40C max as it is warm to the touch, but no where near the heat sensor reading.
I've taken the heatsink off to check there is no dust, too much thermal paste, or too little thermal paste, and there are no signs of problems. I've checked the processor has no bent or missing pins, as well as having it slotted in correctly. The heatsink and fan is now running at 3800rpm, instead of before when I had it at 2500rpm. I've checked the BIOS and it is exactly the same settings as before (the cpu I tested was the same as the one I had).
I've not been in this position before so I am unsure as to what it could be. Hope you can help
The first thing I would do is junk the stock heatsink if it is the crummy one with the metal plate screwed into the bottom of it. Do you have enough fans in the case? Did you move some wiring that's now blocking airflow?
Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4 - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!
nope i have a top of the line coolermaster heatsink and fan so cooling is not a problem, and wasn't before I took the computer apart. wiring is virtually the same as before. all i can think is maybe the heat sensor burn't out, as the processor on touch is no hotter than usual, has this ever happened to anyone?