amdark

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
ok on my mic and headset port comming out of the front of my case i have 2 wires that say RET L and RET R im assuming the l and r mean left and right does anyone know what ret stands for. cant find it in mobo manual and this is my first build im lost.

amdark

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
well thanks for the post at least someone said something i was thinking that too but in my mobo manual there is nothing under the name return so im not sure.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know what it means, but I might know what it's used for:

If those connections are spliced into the normal R and L audio wires via a short loop, it's for certain boards that require to you remove a jumper in order to connect front panel audio.

On those boards, removing the jumper disables rear audio and gives you a place to connect front audio. They do this so you won't overload the sound system by connecting 2 devices.

Having a loop back serves the function of the jumper AND allows a front panel connection. Having both means that you should either unhook or turn off any speakers connected to the rear panel when using the front panel.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>