HP Proliant + Raid Ide + Linux

Hi to all ng,
i'm trying ti install a sles 9 on a HP Proliant ML330 G3 with a IDE RAID
(megaraid is named) but there is a little problem, the sles 9 can't find any
psysical drive to install on. It discover and install modules for megaide
(and on productor's info sles is supported). I have a 40 GB on 1° ide 0
device and two 80 GB on 2° ide 0 and 1 device and i want to install a raid 0
on 40 GB with system and a raid 1 on 80 GB [double] with homes and archive.
I configured raid and inizialised array but sles didn't find any drive. The
third controller ide is only for CD atapi.
Anyone with this problem? I can give you a big bag of thanx for a
solution... :)

thanx in advance
D!

JeffB

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004

D! wrote:
> Hi to all ng,
> i'm trying ti install a sles 9 on a HP Proliant ML330 G3 with a IDE
RAID
> (megaraid is named) but there is a little problem, the sles 9 can't
find any
> psysical drive to install on. It discover and install modules for
megaide
> (and on productor's info sles is supported). I have a 40 GB on 1°
ide 0
> device and two 80 GB on 2° ide 0 and 1 device and i want to install
a raid 0
> on 40 GB with system and a raid 1 on 80 GB [double] with homes and
archive.
> I configured raid and inizialised array but sles didn't find any
drive. The
> third controller ide is only for CD atapi.
> Anyone with this problem? I can give you a big bag of thanx for a
> solution... :)
>
> thanx in advance
> D!

It's not supported D! I just got off of the phone with HP support
concerning installing SLES 9 onto a Proliant DL320 G2 server which uses
the same IDE RAID controller. In my case, the system sees the
individul drives instead of seeing a single RAID 1 drive or no drives.
They tell me that SLES 8 works but only with specific kernel versions
(i.e. not the stock kernel from the installation CDs but only with an
upgraded kernel) and a driver downloadable from their site.

- Jeff

<jeffb@world.std.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>It's not supported D! I just got off of the phone with HP support
>concerning installing SLES 9 onto a Proliant DL320 G2 server which uses
>the same IDE RAID controller. In my case, the system sees the
>individul drives instead of seeing a single RAID 1 drive or no drives.
>They tell me that SLES 8 works but only with specific kernel versions
>(i.e. not the stock kernel from the installation CDs but only with an
>upgraded kernel) and a driver downloadable from their site.
>
>- Jeff

ok, I found on their site files and instruction to install a sles 9 but I
never tried.. You save me much time... I'm thinking to use a red hat 8.0 (i
need only samba on that machine) and some people told me that installation
with red hat 8.0 with hp drivers works...
may it help you...

bYe
D!

D! wrote:
> ok, I found on their site files and instruction to install a sles 9
but I
> never tried.. You save me much time... I'm thinking to use a red hat
8.0 (i
> need only samba on that machine) and some people told me that
installation
> with red hat 8.0 with hp drivers works...
> may it help you...

My $.02 would be bag using RAID on DL320 with Linux. You can just use
the disks as standalone IDE. Configure them as 2 separate RAID 0 disks.
Create RAID 0 with just disk 1 then create RAID 0 disk with disk 2.
They will look like standard IDE disks hda and hdb.