Call Forwarding and Calling Cards

I am trying to decide between Cingular and VZ. Cingular seems to work well
in our area, and most people I know are happy with it, so service is not an
issue.

I have 2 questions, if I may:

We make calls to Latin America on a regular basis using calling cards. Can
we still use those calling cards with VZ, without incurring any extra
charges (other than our allotted minutes)?

Does Verizon have call forwarding and call - waiting as part of it's
America's choice package?

Here in Oregon, call forwarding to a local (same city) has always been free
save the
cost of minutes. In other words, if a forwarded call took 10 minutes, you
would
have ten minutes deducted from plan minutes. etc.

Only in the past year or so has this extended to long distance numbers. I
can
now forward my Verizon phone in Eugene to another area code and phone
number and still only be billed minutes (which is great).

I do remember some folks getting billed for this as it used to depend
on which market you are in. Haven't heard of anyone being billed for this
in some time, but just the same, I'd double-check this point at sign-up
time.

-Dan

PS: For years, "free call forwarding" at least on say T-mobile and AT&T
meant you don't have to pay monthly for the feature to be active. In
reality it cost you an extra 10 or 15 cents per minute. I believe they
still bill this way. And up until recently, Verizon charged long distance
on forwarded calls even if they were included in your rate plan.

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

Buck Turgidson wrote:
> I am trying to decide between Cingular and VZ. Cingular seems to
> work well in our area, and most people I know are happy with it, so
> service is not an issue.
>
> I have 2 questions, if I may:
>
> We make calls to Latin America on a regular basis using calling
> cards. Can we still use those calling cards with VZ, without
> incurring any extra charges (other than our allotted minutes)?
>
> Does Verizon have call forwarding and call - waiting as part of it's
> America's choice package?

Yes, yo ucan use calling cards from a Verizon phone without additional
charges. You are really just calling a toll free number, so only minutes
will apply, if in fact, you are not calling at a "free" time (as in
nights and weekends).

As far as Call Forwarding, it is included with all the other bells and
whistiles:

Quick Reference

*86 - voice mail

*67 + number - Activate Caller ID Blocking for Call

*82 + number - Deactivate Caller ID for Call

*71 + number - Activate No Answer/Busy Transfer

*73 - Deactivate No Answer/Busy Transfer

*72 + number - Activate Call Forwarding

*73 - Deactivate Call Forwarding

Number + SEND + number + SEND + SEND - 3-Way Calling

*226, *611, 611 - Customer Service

#MIN (#646) - Estimated Minuted Used

#BAL (#225) - Check Account Balance

*77 - Emergency (Not Available in Philly and NYC)

911 - Police Emergency

*228 - Option 2 to Upgrade Preferred Raoming List

--
David G.