Netgear and Linksys 54G

Hi all,

I've been running a Netgear 54G network for about a year. My neighbor
just installed a Linksys 54G network, and he noticed my network
immediately and came over to chat about it.

For fun we tried cross connecting to each other's APs and discovered
that he can connect to mine but I can't connect to his. I disabled my
network's security while we were testing and his network was not
secured yet. We double checked all the settings on both sides and
can't find any reason for the connection problem.

I have a Netgear WGT624(v1), WG511T pcmcia and a WGE101 bridge. My
neighbor has a Linksys WRT54GS and WPC54GS pcmcia. All devices have
the latest firmware/drivers etc.

His Linksys card can connect to my Netgear AP with no problem, but
neither Netgear card nor bridge can connect to his Linksys AP. Both
clients see the AP and report excellent beacon strength (up to 99% - I
put my notebook right next to his AP), but neither will associate with
it in either 54G or 11B modes.

We realized that we both need to be on channel 6 to use the SuperG/108
modes so we will probably leave that alone unless interference really
becomes bothersome. Likewise both of us will be (re)securing our
respective networks so our cross connect test was just an exercise -
but I am interested now in the reason for the difficulty I had
connecting to his AP. I have travelled with my WG511T card many times
and have had no trouble with any other APs I've encountered so far
(and I know several of them were Linksys).

Has anyone else had problems with a Linksys AP and Netgear client? Do
you know the reason(s) for it?

Thanks,
George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address
6 answers Last reply

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:50:42 -0400, George Neuner wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've been running a Netgear 54G network for about a year. My neighbor
    > just installed a Linksys 54G network, and he noticed my network
    > immediately and came over to chat about it.
    >
    > For fun we tried cross connecting to each other's APs and discovered
    > that he can connect to mine but I can't connect to his. I disabled my
    > network's security while we were testing and his network was not
    > secured yet. We double checked all the settings on both sides and
    > can't find any reason for the connection problem.
    >
    > I have a Netgear WGT624(v1), WG511T pcmcia and a WGE101 bridge. My
    > neighbor has a Linksys WRT54GS and WPC54GS pcmcia. All devices have
    > the latest firmware/drivers etc.
    >
    > His Linksys card can connect to my Netgear AP with no problem, but
    > neither Netgear card nor bridge can connect to his Linksys AP. Both
    > clients see the AP and report excellent beacon strength (up to 99% - I
    > put my notebook right next to his AP), but neither will associate with
    > it in either 54G or 11B modes.
    >
    > We realized that we both need to be on channel 6 to use the SuperG/108
    > modes so we will probably leave that alone unless interference really
    > becomes bothersome. Likewise both of us will be (re)securing our
    > respective networks so our cross connect test was just an exercise -
    > but I am interested now in the reason for the difficulty I had
    > connecting to his AP. I have travelled with my WG511T card many times
    > and have had no trouble with any other APs I've encountered so far
    > (and I know several of them were Linksys).
    >
    > Has anyone else had problems with a Linksys AP and Netgear client? Do
    > you know the reason(s) for it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > George

    I believe the chipsets in both are the same. Does your friend use MAC
    filtering on his AP? If so, your MAC address must be entered into his AP
    setup for his AP to talk to your card.

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:22:26 GMT, Sensor Man <sensorman@hoho.tz>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:50:42 -0400, George Neuner wrote:
    >

    >> I have a Netgear WGT624(v1), WG511T pcmcia and a WGE101 bridge. My
    >> neighbor has a Linksys WRT54GS and WPC54GS pcmcia. All devices have
    >> the latest firmware/drivers etc.
    >>
    >> His Linksys card can connect to my Netgear AP with no problem, but
    >> neither Netgear card nor bridge can connect to his Linksys AP. Both
    >> clients see the AP and report excellent beacon strength (up to 99% - I
    >> put my notebook right next to his AP), but neither will associate with
    >> it in either 54G or 11B modes.
    >>

    >I believe the chipsets in both are the same. Does your friend use MAC
    >filtering on his AP? If so, your MAC address must be entered into his AP
    >setup for his AP to talk to your card.

    No, I double checked there were no security features enabled in either
    the AP or the client. Both of my Netgear 54G clients see the Linksys
    AP beacon but neither will associate with it.

    Re: the chipsets, I was under the impression that Linksys used
    Broadcom and Netgear used Atheros.

    George
    --

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:24:49 -0400, George Neuner wrote:

    > No, I double checked there were no security features enabled in either
    > the AP or the client. Both of my Netgear 54G clients see the Linksys
    > AP beacon but neither will associate with it.
    >
    > Re: the chipsets, I was under the impression that Linksys used
    > Broadcom and Netgear used Atheros.

    Hmmm. Strange. I just tried a Linksys WAP54G AP with my WT511T and they
    talk just fine. I normally use a Netgear WGT624 with the 511T.

    You are right about the chipsets. It's DLink that also uses the Atheros
    chipset. I had a brain fart.

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 03:06:49 GMT, Senor Man <sensorman@hoho.tz> wrote:

    >Hmmm. Strange. I just tried a Linksys WAP54G AP with my WT511T and they
    >talk just fine. I normally use a Netgear WGT624 with the 511T.

    Is anything different between the WRT54GS and the WAP54G?

    George
    --

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:51:50 -0400, George Neuner wrote:

    > Is anything different between the WRT54GS and the WAP54G?

    The WRT54GS is a router with a built-in wireless AP.
    The WAP54G is just the AP.

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 03:55:32 GMT, Sensor Man <sensorman@hoho.tz>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:51:50 -0400, George Neuner wrote:
    >
    >> Is anything different between the WRT54GS and the WAP54G?
    >
    >The WRT54GS is a router with a built-in wireless AP.
    >The WAP54G is just the AP.

    8-)

    I meant re: the implementation (chipset, bios, etc). Guessing the
    answer is "No". I guess we'll have to play more this weekend to try
    to figure it out.

    Thanks,
    George
    --
    for email reply remove "/" from address

Connection Netgear Linksys Wireless Networking