Motherboard and memory for A64

Time to upgrade is coming for me and I'm thinking about my new parts now. Well, I will keep most of my old parts...mobo/cpu/ram(maybe) is what will be changed.

I will build an A64 rig. Always have good succes with AMD. Intel is not an option.

I'm very satified with my Soltek motherboard. So I guess that I will go with them for my new computer. It will probably be socket 939 but maybe s754 with a faster processor since they will be cheaper than the 939 and not that much slower. Unless s939 processor get cheaper. Most likely be a nforce3 250 mobo because I will probably overclock it. I'm still not convinced about quality of new Asus mobo and I heard of a lot of trouble for the MSI k8n neo 250.

The memory I have now is 1 gigs of twinX 3200ll. I know it is enough for stock system, but if I want to overclock, then I need something faster. I saw the SHIKATRONICS SHIKAXRAM 2X512MB PC4000 DUAL CHANNEL KIT. That the first time I heard of them, but <A HREF="http://www.mbreview.com/xram4000.php" target="_new">review </A>are good for them. I can get it <A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12271&vpn=SXP-1G/PC4000K2&manufacture=SHIKATRONICS" target="_new"> here</A> and price is good. s754 is not dual channel but s939 is. and that will give me headroom for overclocking. I dont know hom much latency will affect performance because my twinX has lower latecy (2-3-3-5, iirc) but lower speed and the pc4000 has higher latency (3-4-4-8). dont know how that affect performance.

onboard sound will be used, as today's solution are more than acceptable. As well as LAN. And I will keep my ATI AIW9600xt for video. I'm not a performance freak. I dont need the fastest thing. I dont care about PCI-x or DDR2. Will use RAID too, with at least 2x160 SATA HDD. Futureproof is not needed since I'm not futureproof myself.

Any other advice?

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
9 answers Last reply
More about motherboard memory
  1. For the memory, i would see how far your current dimms can overclock. v1.1 of 3200LL contains the legendary Winbond BH5 ICs and I would expect it to overclock quite well, given the right conditions.
  2. What I have is the twinx 1024 3200llpt xms 3205 v1.2...Are they still good enough?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pat on 07/24/04 02:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  3. Take a look at the Chaintech VNF3-250 too for a socket 754 build. Runs great with that 9600XT and has few issues. I was shocked how fast it was with an A64-3000+. :smile:

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4 - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
    Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
    Sony DRU-510A - THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!
  4. it has few issues...what kind? I rather have one with not issue....

5. Improper CPU temp reporting. Fixed by latest Bios revision.

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4 - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
    Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
    Sony DRU-510A - THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!
  6. v1.2 contains Winbond CH5 ICs ... generally seen as inferior in overclockability to BH5. But, could test to see how far they can go and then decide if it's a good idea to get new memory.
  7. Ok, might try that. Maybe relaxing the timing will help.

OTH, I was checking for other motherboard that might fit my need. I get across the Epox one, but after much reading, it seems that Epox still have the bad capacitor problems with their board. how come that? I mean, this was a problem recognized and corrected by mobo makers...but why not Epox? I read about the problems <A HREF="http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?s=9baac36ce4f31a0a412aa4ea5ba1e5f8&f=9" target="_new"> here </A>.

8. Couldn't tell ya. I haven't been closely following Epox lately. But, i can remember when a lot of folks chose the Epox 8RDA+ motherboard for the nForce2 chipset.
  9. From what I've read, their nforce2 board were the most affected by the bad cap.

I just had a look at the chaintec. It is only socket 754. But, they seem to be good board. Hope to see s939 boards from them soon.

Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards