sikkwun

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
I have 2 problems with my motherboard. The first problem is that this motherboard supports AGP 8X (eventho my vid card is 4X im getting my 8X shipped soon) when i goto BIOS and configure AGP Mode the highest option is 4X is that because my card is only 4X or do i have to update my BIOS?...in the manual i got it says i can put AGP 8X but i can't in my BIOS..

The other problem is.. that when i boot up it scans for IDE drives and then it has a message liek this "No drive connected to FastTrack controller. The BIOS is not installed"...

i am really confused can anyone help me? thx alot

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Both the card and mobo should support AGP 8x. Don't worry about it. AGP 8x has no performanec advantage over AGP 4x

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

pat

Expert
the fasttrak controller is an alternative/complementary IDE controller that was added to the board. When booting up, the bios scan for drive attached to the chipset controller, then check if there is any on the fastrak controller. If no drives are attached, then there is no nedd for the fastrak bios to be loaded. You can disable the controller in the bios if you dont need it, I think. That will spped up a bit the boot.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
so what happens when i get a AGP 8X card i wont be able to use it to my full potential?
LMAO!!! Did you read what he said?

OK, you get your AGP8x card, you should have the AGP8x option after it's installed. But even if you don't, it doesn't matter, because your card would be at its full potential at AGP4x. That's right, AGP4x is a bus, which is fast enough for all of today's cards. AGP8x was added mostly as an advertizing gimick.

It's like if they put a 250MPH speed limit on the highway, then raised it to 500MPH, since your card can't go 250MPH, raising the limit to 500MPH had no affect.

So basically, you don't NEED AGP8x, but you'll still HAVE that option available in BIOS once you get a card that's capable.

Also, the "BIOS Not Installed" message isn't refering to your motherboard BIOS, but for card BIOS for the built in PCI drive controller. That's right, I said built in and PCI at the same time, these are PCI devices that are simply soldered onto the board rather than attached to a slot.

If you're not using that added in controller, you get that stupid message. To rid yourself of it, turn off that controller in BIOS. You can always turn it back on later if you ever attach drives at that location.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>