uber_m0j0

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
Okay heres the story
Last saturday i built my friend a new MSI K8N Neo plat with an A64 3200+
It worked purrfect up till this afternoon. When he plays Farcry, the systems appears to overheat and shut down. Bios is recording a temp of 60+C (160F). However, the heatsink and the chip are almost cold to the touch. I seriously doubt his chip is getting that hot. Vcore is fine @ 1.48. The heatsink is on correctly, fan spins around 3200rpm. even while running idle in windows the MSI system utility progie is reading temps of 60C. Again, if it was really that hot, wouldnt the heatsink be warm/very hot to the touch? Instead, its cool. I think the mobo isn't reading temp right and so it shuts itself down thinking the CPU is way over 60C when really its prolly around 30. Anyone else hear of an issue like this or have an idea how to solve it?
Thanks

~~ Windows Me: OS of teh MILLENIUM!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Normally 60C would feel warm on the heatsink, but there's a possibility the core isn't making good contact with the heatsink.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You seem to have the same problem <A HREF="http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=55748" target="_new">this guy has.</A>

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4 - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!