AoErat

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004
I recently transfered some files from my first hard drive (with OS) to my second hard drive (just for files). I then reformatted the OS hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP.

After the reformat, only a small percentage of the files I backed up on the second hard drive remain. Does anyone know why this would be? I am sure I copied the files to the right drive, and that I am looking in the right place. Like I said, *some* of the files are there, but the vast majority (3+ gigs) are missing. Files previously located on the drive are still there. Is there some sort of software I can run to recover files?

AoErat

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004
I used a program called GetDataBack, which found my files, but when I attempt to view them I get gibberish (text files), and errors (images). Is my data corrupt, and/or to what extent?

I haven't copied any data to the harddrive since so I don't think I overwrote it.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The only explanation I can get from what you were saying that you had your files in My Documents folder and when you transferred them they are not viewable by the other "user" which there is since the reinstall because of encription issue. In that case there is nothing you can do. But on the other hand, why you can't see them at all that is a question.

I could recommend some things to do, but I have no idea what you did in the first place.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...