K7v and Hard Drive

Thoth

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Have an old k7v-based 900mhz machine that needs a hard drive upgrade. What's the fastest speed hard drive it can support? It's been running a Western Digital that apparently is a ATA/100 drive fine.

An old anandtech review used an ata 66 hardrive, so a new hardrive may not improve performance. I would run disk clean and defrag, and see if you notice any improvement in performance before getting a new drive.

Thoth

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
My plan is to build a new computer using a barebones system then migrate the drive to it so that I can keep my directory structure intact. It'll be in the current machine for about a month.

Your new board may support sata drives. They start at about $68 for 80 gig (newegg.com). You won't notice much performance difference except with large files, such as a new operating system installation. The top of the line is the 74 gig western digital raptors for people with money to burn. A pair of those in raid 0 will offer the best performance. If you must use it now in your old board, check Fry's electronics. My local Fry's had a seagate 80 gig ide 100 for only $30 after rebate.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
there is no such thing as "speed limit" for mobo, as long as it is supplied with the according controller, but even with ATA-33 connection HD is going to run close to it's limits, and it is very hard (if at all) to notice any difference between 33 and 100 anyway.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...