"optional accessories" from Verizon store - beware

Glenn

I upgraded one of my phones today at a Verizon store. I was in a rush
and didn't notice the "optional accessories" was included with the
bill. It was only until I got home and wondered why I paid so much
that I realized this. As it turns out, I have no need for any one ot
the 3 "optional accessories" that I was charged $49.97 for.

I called the store and the attitude was simply that I had 30 days to
return it. When questioned if this was how they conducted their
business, I got silence.

The good part is my complaint was addressed very professionally by
Verizon customer service. (they swore they would give the offending
store rep 30 lashes.) Apparently, they know this stuff goes on and,
according to the rep, are trying to stop it. I got a $25 credit,
though I still have to make a trip to the store to return the equpt.

glenn <glenns@panix.com> wrote:
> I upgraded one of my phones today at a Verizon store. I was in a rush
> and didn't notice the "optional accessories" was included with the
> bill. It was only until I got home and wondered why I paid so much
> that I realized this. As it turns out, I have no need for any one ot
> the 3 "optional accessories" that I was charged $49.97 for.

Which store?

> I called the store and the attitude was simply that I had 30 days to
> return it. When questioned if this was how they conducted their
> business, I got silence.

Aside from complaining to customer service, which was an excellent idea,
you should turn around and complain to the manager when you return the stuff.

My question, however, is: How could you not be aware that you were walking
out with extra equipment? Was the phone sold to you as a packaage with the
accessories? (It sounded like you weren't aware you were talking the extra
equipment with you, but that can't be right... perhaps I misread your
statement...)

In article <8u4hh09qgm9n0hcnk9ke7urkpahma63egc@4ax.com>,
glenn <glenns@panix.com> wrote:

> I'm still pissed at myself for getting taken and I for sure don't
> dismiss my responsibility for this.

My partner upgraded yesterday evening. The sales rep had to sell her on
the accessory package. Mary wanted a car charger and a hands-free
device; she changed brands of phones, and her old charger and hands-free
speaker don't work with the new phone. So, she got the accessory
package, and got the leather case essentially for free.

She has 15 days to return the accessory package if she doesn't like it
(which essentially means that she doesn't like the headset, and wants to
buy a different model).

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.

"dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday, a existing verizon customer came into one of our stores, after
> having found in their corporate upgrade bag three accessory items that
they
> didn't realize were part of their purchase. They were furious, as you
might
> imagine. Easy enough, they went back to the corporate verizon store where
> the purchase was made to return the item. WELL: it seems that there
account
> was now past due, and the Point Of Sale would NOT allow a
transaction/refund
> to be processed. With a smile, they were told that they need to resolve
> their past due balance first. And with a smirk: told the customer that
they
> must due it within the 15 day return policy, so they had only 3 days to do
> it.
>
> Very unhappy and grumbling, they eventually wandered into one of our
stores,
> and "vented" to us. Not our sale, not our inventory, so we could only be
> polite and listen. Actually they wouldn't let you speak, as they were
upset
> (PO). Eventually they threw their corporate accessories and receipt on
the
> floor, and left the store, vowing to take this to the "top."
>
> What to do: our sales associate's manager called Verizon Customer
Service,
> explained the situation, faxed the receipt to Verizon, and they applied a
> credit to their account AND they later called the customer with an
apology.
> The apology wasn't for them being sold the three items, but for not being
> able to return them. Another case of dazzling customer service fixing
> something that really didn't need to be broke in the first place.
>
> As kudos: customer service thanked our sales associate for handling this
and
> bringing it to their attention. Not our sale, not our accessory, but yes,
> our customer service!
>
> the dr.

Having a large corporate account with Verizon I can tell you that
*Government Accounts* are always in default. Since the law governing
payments is the *Prompt Payment Act* (A Law) which supersedes any Verizon
contract with us, a simple call to the corporate account services number not
only gets you an over ride code applied to get the items off the account,
but will also work in reverse when you want those accessories. I do it all
the time.

A good thing about a Government Corporate Account is I can tell Verizon to
stick it any time I don't get my way :)

On many services we get free phones, free accessories, and lower prices than
the average Joe, and we also have that *Regulatory Clout* which will insure
that Verizon does not pull that type of stunt.

I feel sorry for the average retail customer who would have to put up with
that type of treatment.

Elector

Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:
> And it is proven that most customers are happier, (the phone does
> not get returned), if it is sold with at least one accessory.

Which is no problem as long as the sales rep is clear on what he or she
is offering.

I do not know the details of this "package", but I remember when I
used to sell phones. Sometimes with a package like that if the customer
returns one of the three items, the savings is very little. However if
the phone is no longer on sale, the net price for returning one of the
accessories would be higher. The place I worked the return period was
30 days.

Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <8u4hh09qgm9n0hcnk9ke7urkpahma63egc@4ax.com>,
> glenn <glenns@panix.com> wrote:
>

>>I'm still pissed at myself for getting taken and I for sure don't
>>dismiss my responsibility for this.
>

> My partner upgraded yesterday evening. The sales rep had to sell her on
> the accessory package. Mary wanted a car charger and a hands-free
> device; she changed brands of phones, and her old charger and hands-free
> speaker don't work with the new phone. So, she got the accessory
> package, and got the leather case essentially for free.
>
> She has 15 days to return the accessory package if she doesn't like it
> (which essentially means that she doesn't like the headset, and wants to
> buy a different model).

"dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message news:<0E3Sc.661$lP.385@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>...
> Yesterday, a existing verizon customer came into one of our stores, after
> having found in their corporate upgrade bag three accessory items that they
> didn't realize were part of their purchase. They were furious, as you might
> imagine.

I've been very hard on independant agents in the past. Actually it's
the unscrupulous agents which have given non corporate cellular stores
the bad rap. Having been an agent for other telecom services in a past
incarnation... an independant agent can be the best best source of
information and service provided. So much depends on the integrity of
any given individual sales rep and the ability to make enough money to
keep the lights on. I know it's tough dealing with competion from deep
pocket Verizon stores return policy and meager commisions vs time
spent making a happy customer, who may show no loyalty whatsever.
Shell shocked and/or idiot customers make for burnout and losses.
What's in stock, creates the highest revenue and how many people in
line, are going to effect the interaction.

To the point...I wonder if these extra accessories were OEM or
Verizon's aftermarket version? That's what bugs me. After playing with
the numbers, it seems like the profit from accessory sales closes the
distance of the subsidized handset sale by quite a bit. Paying $60 for
a $20 Moto battery is just business, but adding an (aftermarket)
version of car charger and case in the bag along with a corperate
store sale without warning, seems like no isolated accident but more
like a topdown policy, resulting in a big profit showing.

It's become apparent that one can no longer "drop their guard" around
any cellular salesperson, if they ever could. This is what makes
consumers nuts. With the apparent drop in Verizon corporate sales
knowledge, and questionable sales tactics, it might be a good time to
look for a reputable independant to take one's business to. I just
hope it's still profitible for an independant to operate with
integrity. The problem seems most people just want a decent deal and
usually only find out much later if they got screwed.

-
David

Glenn

>It's become apparent that one can no longer "drop their guard" around
>any cellular salesperson, if they ever could. This is what makes
>consumers nuts. With the apparent drop in Verizon corporate sales
>knowledge, and questionable sales tactics, it might be a good time to
>look for a reputable independant to take one's business to. I just
>hope it's still profitible for an independant to operate with
>integrity. The problem seems most people just want a decent deal and
>usually only find out much later if they got screwed.

I would have no problem paying a little more to get quality service.
I need to replace my other phone and I feel there's no one to get
straightforward and knowledgeable advice from. [This NG is probably
the best source.]

Just to give a stupid small example. I absolutely don't wanna a
phone lacking a reminder audio ring or the like when there's a
voicemail. I assume most phones have this. However, I got stuck with
the LG VX4400 which doesn't. [I know everyone here loves this phone
to death, but I've hated it since day 1 because of the lack of this
feature.] When I bought it I never thought twice about asking about
it since every phone I had before (Motorola) had it. So yesterday, I
was on the phone with Verizon trying to decide on another phone . I
told the rep simply to list the tri-mode phones with this reminder
feature. It took forrever and I got off the phone with little
confidence tthat the info was correct. I had the same experiience in
the store. The rep that helped me wsa not only a con, but had limited
knowledge. She didn't even know (and couldn't figure out) if her own
VX6000 has this reminder feature.

So yes, rather than deal with clueless people, I'd pay 10% or 20% more
for quality service.

glenn <glenns@panix.com> wrote in message news:<m6njh0hrslnl16tqdd25if22c1r5arfbuc@4ax.com>...

> I would have no problem paying a little more to get quality service.
> I need to replace my other phone and I feel there's no one to get
> straightforward and knowledgeable advice from. [This NG is probably
> the best source.]
>
> Just to give a stupid small example. I absolutely don't wanna a
> phone lacking a reminder audio ring or the like when there's a
> voicemail. I assume most phones have this. However, I got stuck with
> the LG VX4400 which doesn't. [I know everyone here loves this phone
> to death, but I've hated it since day 1 because of the lack of this
> feature.] When I bought it I never thought twice about asking about
> it since every phone I had before (Motorola) had it. So yesterday, I
> was on the phone with Verizon trying to decide on another phone . I
> told the rep simply to list the tri-mode phones with this reminder
> feature. It took forrever and I got off the phone with little
> confidence tthat the info was correct. I had the same experiience in
> the store. The rep that helped me wsa not only a con, but had limited
> knowledge. She didn't even know (and couldn't figure out) if her own
> VX6000 has this reminder feature.
>
> So yes, rather than deal with clueless people, I'd pay 10% or 20% more
> for quality service.

This kind of info is where an independant could be of great service,
but with so many phones and so many individual consumers preferences,
it's unlikely anyone could keep up with the avalanche of new and
increasingly complicated features. You might have better luck
searching in the phone finder at Phonescoop.com or going to
manufacturer forums at howardforums and finding someone who also owns
a certain model/make phone.

Sometimes the handset makers don't even promote, what I consider
essential features.
For example, it took a lot of research to find a phone that allowed
viocedial using a headset on/off switch, let alone a headset maker
that would clearly advertise that feature. Finally discovered Samsung
on/off headsets were compatible with my model Audiovox phone. It's
funny how difficult it is to find specific phone feature info even at
the source. That's where a user group and forum, that's phone
specific, is so incredibly useful. A phone specific database/knowledge
pool can help get the most usefullness out of any handset.

It seems some people never get more than six names in their address
book and never buy any accessories, just using what came in the box...
and then there's users at the other end of the spectrum;-)

-
David