msi k7n2 delta-l
2500 barton retail
2-256mb corsair value select 3200
ati 9100 64mb video card
on-board sound
wd 30gb hd
etc etc etc

the machine is running very good NOW!

putting it together was a snap w/the exception of haveing the wrong fan connections.

when i started to install the os (xp home sp1) the os would stop due to some problem. then it wouldn't let me into the bios, then it stopped posting. i had to turn the machine off, in the back, to get it to restart. after 2-3 times i realized it was over heating. so i reset the bios, in case i had set the fsb to high (turns out it was to low) i had it set for 133 and it should have been 166. but, better safe than sorry. in the past i've installed the hsf wrong (1/2 on-1/2 off the pad) so that's the 1st thing i checked. i installed it right but when i took the hsf off the thermal pad peeled off 1/2 on the copper, 1/2 on the processor. i've used plenty of retail boxes in the past. since i don't overclock i prefer them. anyway i had some silver around and after following the directions and re-installing the hsf the machine is working fine. i spent the next 2-3 hours installing the os, drivers etc etc etc.

the point of this post was to make people aware of the fact that the thermal pad didn't work and to keep some silver around just in case.

3 other things about this mobo;
1) i installed the modem in the middle slot and it froze the machine and after moving it down a slot it works fine.
2) don't set the pc health to 50o. i did and it made such a racket. yeah, i know i set it too low. it's now set to 60o and it's fine.
3) there is only 1 3-pin fan slot on the mobo. if you have case fans make sure you have 4-pin versions.

my aunt is looking forward to her new machine. her old one is a 586 w/128mb of ram and a 16mb video card.

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
All the case fans I've bought came with a converter 3pin to 4pin. But I've never had a problem with not enough 3 pin places...I have 4 oh my motherboard..

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+</font color=blue>
<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>
<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>