Random reboot!? Expert needed!

i30i3i3y

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
My systems rebooting randomly. I had recently installed a radeon 9800pro and am using latest drivers/software. I also recently installed SP2. The error im getting has me completely dumbfounded.

At first i thought it was a hardware error as the machine would just reboot. But i read on another forum about how to stop windows restarting when it hits an error and show an error message instead. I did that and sure enough it showed me an error message instead of just rebooting. So now i know its something to with windows. I've got a dual boot (mandrake linux 10.1) and the machines fine under linux (as you'd expect).

The reboot is completely random, no pattern to it whatsoever. I could be playing an intense 3d game, or the machine could just be idling.

Now this is the error message i got at the blue screen.

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF87E27A, 0xB87f5514, 0x00000000)
Win32k.sys - Address BF87E27A base at BF800000, DateStamp 41107f7a

In event viewer the error shows,

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf87e27a, parameter3 b87f5514, parameter4 00000000.

I know this probably wont make any sense to anyone but im grabbing at straws here hoping someone will know whats going on.

Ive got a mini111304-01.dmp file along with a manifest and sysdata.xml file from the error. Not sure what to do with those.

Are there any BIOS settings that maybe disagree with windows?

I would greatly appreciate any help. If you could even just indicate where the problem might be. Like i said this is completely beyond me. I've formatted and reinstalled windows, so the machines pretty clean.

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
If I'm a gambling man.... and I am, I would say your PSU is going bad. If it's random it's almost always the juice. Probably reboots most often when you are loading the OS or playing a graphically intense game or any other activity that puts a strain on the power supply. Replace it and I'll bet your problems go away.
-Brett

G

Dont listen to the man saying its your PSU.

I get the same problem as you Since installing SP2, its always the: Ive got a mini111304-01.dmp file along with a manifest and sysdata.xml file from the error

And its so random like playing games and stuff its like it doesent like Graphics card drivers or sumthing its so friggin annoying im going back to a fresh install with SP1 stuff sp2.

I have a thermaltake butterfly true power 480watt its not a juice problem, because we always get a blue screen before a restart.

pat

Expert
Dont listen to the one that said that it is sp2...sp2 works fine for me, better check for the PSU first.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

KingLewie2152uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2004
Why don't u try installing the original graphics card, the one u replaced, to see whether it is a compatability issue between hardware.... I tend to find when I get problems similar to this one, going through an elimination process by replacing, or just reinstalling, hardware such as the GPU and PSU can sometimes help. Make sure all power cables are securely in.... could be as simple as that!

By the way what set up have u got....
I wouldn't rule out the PSU as a potential problem yet! Does matter if its "Truepower" or over 400W, could have just come to the end of its life.

Hope u get it sorted though.... good luck!

Flattery

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2005
I believe that it is SP2 as well. On both my window XP computers, after I upgraded them they both randomly reboot.

The computer can be completely idle. or running a complex game. Or sometimes I could go days without rebooting, I can play Half Life 2 for a few hours and no reboot and other times I am just sitting in front of my computer (doing nothing) just thinking of something to do and then WHAM!!! it reboots.

Any ideas of how to fix this would be great for me as well.

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
The only way SP2 would be the source of any problem is if there is installed software that does not like it (and vice versa).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

The list on MS's site is not all-inclusive. There are many other programs that experience some kind of problem when working with SP2. For instance, we use Novell client on our machines at work. Before we upgraded to Client v4.9, any machine with SP2 (and Novell client) would reboot randomly, especially when trying to access a network drive.

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001