Motherboards which support both P4C and P4E CPUs

DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hello folks.

As a general rule, when any given motherboard has the ability to support both a Northwood P4C CPU and a Prescott P4E CPU (not at the same time, that is)...

Are there any features which, for any reason, might not be available or functional when one of these CPUs was in the motherboard while they would be if the *other* CPU was in the motherboard? (features like Dual Channel DDR, Hyper Threading, USB 2.0, Serial ATA, Parallel ATA, etc.)

I am wondering in particular about the following motherboards (all of which are based on the Intel 865PE chipset, and support both P4C and P4E CPUs):

- Abit IS7-E2 motherboard

- Intel D865PERL motherboard

- Any Asus P4P800 motherboards

Thanks much!
DuckTape

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
E2! Double the economy! Wow, I'd just spend the $90 on the IS7.

The IS7 supports BOTH with BIOS released several months ago. I'm not sure about the Intel board. All boards that support the Prescott also support the Northwood, but some older Northwood boards don't properly support Prescott.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Crashman,

Thanks for the tip.

You know, I noticed that at Intel.com, using the "Motherboard Selector" feature, the IS7 does not list having and/or supporting Hyper-Threading Technology, USB 2.0, and Parallel ATA, while the IS7-E2 does.

But maybe the IS7 has all that too?

Thanks much!
DuckTape

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All current chipsets support those features, of course the IS7 has them. The IS7 has:

USB 2.0
HT Support
2 PATA headers supporting 4 drives
2 SATA headers supporting both RAID and non-RAIDed drives
Firewire
5 analog audio jacks
Digital input and output.

The IS7-E is the cheaper version of the IS7, and the IS7-E2 is the cheapers version of the IS7-E. With the IS7 costing only $90, I'd pass on the cheaper versions.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>